Posted to user@struts.apache.org by marty milligan <ma...@milligansisland.com> on 2009/10/01 06:49:06 UTC

User provisioning and maintenance systems

This is tangentially related to struts but it seems to come up often
enough that I figured I would ask this group.  For most applications,
I use Struts (mostly 1 but I'm coming up to speed on 2) with Spring
Security. For user provisioning and and maintenance I usually use the
systems that come with other applications on the site such as a forum
or blog.  This isn't ideal but it gets the job done. For bigger
systems with larger budgets, SiteMinder (and other stand alone
systems) works fine but it is expensive and requires specialized
skills.  I'd like to use an open source user maintenance system
written in Java and preferably Struts 2 and Spring.  Is there such an
animal?

So what does everyone use with their Struts applications?  Does
everyone roll their own?

--
cordially,
Marty Milligan PO Box 434, Falling Waters, WV 25419

[OT] Re: User provisioning and maintenance systems

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I've been contemplating this lately as well. I've generally rolled my
own similar to what you describe, but I am thinking about moving away
from that and into using CAS for authentication and authorization and
configuring spring security to honor it in the apps. The upside is
that user management will be removed from the apps in question, but
the question comes up about managing the users. I don't mind setting
up a database and building a quick front-end to it, but I am also
thinking about trying to use LDAP rather than a relational database
for storing the users. The advantage of LDAP over RDBMS is that GUI
tools will feel more natural, but I don't know if I want to open up
LDAP outside of the datacenter. So, there is still a need for
web-based management capabilities.

In my mind, my solution is a work-in-progress, but if you have any
ideas that will help me, let me know.

-Wes

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:49 AM, marty milligan
<ma...@milligansisland.com> wrote:
> This is tangentially related to struts but it seems to come up often
> enough that I figured I would ask this group.  For most applications,
> I use Struts (mostly 1 but I'm coming up to speed on 2) with Spring
> Security. For user provisioning and and maintenance I usually use the
> systems that come with other applications on the site such as a forum
> or blog.  This isn't ideal but it gets the job done. For bigger
> systems with larger budgets, SiteMinder (and other stand alone
> systems) works fine but it is expensive and requires specialized
> skills.  I'd like to use an open source user maintenance system
> written in Java and preferably Struts 2 and Spring.  Is there such an
> animal?
>
> So what does everyone use with their Struts applications?  Does
> everyone roll their own?
>
> --
> cordially,
> Marty Milligan PO Box 434, Falling Waters, WV 25419
> http://milligansisland.com/ http://byteslinger.com/

Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!