Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Martyn George <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/28 04:59:20 UTC

Viewing Web Resource Updates without Restarting Tomcat

Currently, I wish to make minor changes to web pages, and the like,
associated with a production application without restarting Tomcat, and with
minimal impact to users. These changes can be made, but are not immediately
observable due to caching. Is there any command that can be issued to Tomcat
so that changes can be immediately observed (e.g. a cache flush)?

Thankyou

Re: Viewing Web Resource Updates without Restarting Tomcat

Posted by Martin Bromley <ma...@sustainable-energy.co.uk>.
I wasn't aware of Tomcat doing any caching of JSP pages... could be wrong, but are you sure it's Tomcat doing the caching, not a browser or proxy server?  You may want to look at the Expires, Cache-Control etc. headers that are being sent with your pages.

You can clear the compiled classes in the work dir if you want to force JSPs to be recompiled, but I've always found that Tomcat detects new JSPs itself (even with the Context set with reloadable="false").

Anything in WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib (basically anything picked up by the classloader) requires a restart or reload for changes to be detected.

Cheers
Martin

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
What version are you running?