Posted to oro-user@jakarta.apache.org by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@toofan2001.com> on 2001/12/09 00:33:00 UTC

Syntax of an Email Address

Hi All,

    I want to write a simple (but correct) E-Mail Address Validator. Does anybody know where can I get the syntax specification for an E-mail address?

Thanks in advance,
Behrang.

Re: Syntax of an Email Address

Posted by Behrang Saeedzadeh <be...@toofan2001.com>.
Hi Ed,

    Thank you very much. It helped me alot.

Re: Syntax of an Email Address

Posted by Ed Chidester <ec...@textwise.com>.
On Saturday 08 December 2001 06:33 pm, you wrote:

>     I want to write a simple (but correct) E-Mail Address Validator. Does
> anybody know where can I get the syntax specification for an E-mail
> address?

Behrang,

There are probably other sources. But, when I was working on a project
that dealt with e-mail I used the Request For Comments (RFC) dealing w/
e-mail messages.

    http://crsemail.sourceforge.net/docs/rfc822.txt

(if you look under 6.1 "SYNTAX" you'll see BNF describing the address)

Hope this helps

Ed.

--
// Edward Chidester
// Software Engineer                            MNIS - Textwise Labs