Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/10/07 09:27:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Hi all,

I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but
based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11
I think this is something we need to start thinking about.

Some key facts:

- Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
- EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
- We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
   9.0.x and 10.1.x.
- Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
- Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
- Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
   stable

Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024
or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.

Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is
probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL
date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to
announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that
we can extend that if we want to.

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 5:28 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but
> based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11
> I think this is something we need to start thinking about.
>
> Some key facts:
>
> - Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
> - EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
> - We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
>    9.0.x and 10.1.x.
> - Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
> - Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
> - Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
>    stable
>
> Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024
> or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.
>
> Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is
> probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL
> date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to
> announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that
> we can extend that if we want to.
>
> Thoughts?

+1 for 31 March 2024.

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> 2022年10月20日 17:01,Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 11:28 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but
>> based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11
>> I think this is something we need to start thinking about.
>>
>> Some key facts:
>>
>> - Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
>> - EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
>> - We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
>> 9.0.x and 10.1.x.
>> - Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
>> - Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
>> - Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
>> stable
>>
>> Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024
>> or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.
>>
>> Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is
>> probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL
>> date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to
>> announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that
>> we can extend that if we want to.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> My slides said Tomcat 8.5 will be EOL when Tomcat 11 is released, so
> it seems that was the plan all along.
> So easy +1 :)
>
> About the exact date, I think it is ok to set a date even if Tomcat 11
> happens to slip, Tomcat 9.0 is there.
+1

 BTW, I'm fed up with the limitations of JDK7 and I am  looking forward to JDK8
as the minimum version to be maintained, as soon as possible so that it's a bit
easier when back-ported.  : P     : P

Han

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 20.10.2022 um 11:01 schrieb Rémy Maucherat:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 11:28 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but
>> based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11
>> I think this is something we need to start thinking about.
>>
>> Some key facts:
>>
>> - Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
>> - EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
>> - We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
>>     9.0.x and 10.1.x.
>> - Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
>> - Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
>> - Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
>>     stable
>>
>> Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024
>> or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.
>>
>> Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is
>> probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL
>> date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to
>> announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that
>> we can extend that if we want to.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> My slides said Tomcat 8.5 will be EOL when Tomcat 11 is released, so
> it seems that was the plan all along.
> So easy +1 :)
>
> About the exact date, I think it is ok to set a date even if Tomcat 11
> happens to slip, Tomcat 9.0 is there.

I am also fine with 31 March 2024.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Oct 21, 2022, at 12:12 PM, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering if I should migrate my applications to 9.0 or 10.x and start re-writing imports. The flexibility of Tomcat 10.x is just incredible. I'm kind of leaning toward skipping 9.x.

Do it! :)

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 10/20/22 04:44, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Bump.
>

> On 07/10/2022 10:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but
>> based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE
>> 11 I think this is something we need to start thinking about.
>>
>> Some key facts:
>>
>> - Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
>> - EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
>> - We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
>>    9.0.x and 10.1.x.
>> - Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
>> - Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
>> - Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
>>    stable
>>
>> Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March
>> 2024 or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be
>> released.
>>
>> Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024
>> is probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an
>> EOL date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is
>> to announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind
>> that we can extend that if we want to.

That seems reasonable. Were you thinking that we should announce that
approximate date /now/ or wait until March 2023 and give 12 months notice?

If we are agreed, I don't see a particular reason to wait.

I'm wondering if I should migrate my applications to 9.0 or 10.x and
start re-writing imports. The flexibility of Tomcat 10.x is just
incredible. I'm kind of leaning toward skipping 9.x.

-chris

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Bump.

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: [DISCUSS] EOL date for 8.5.x

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Oct 7, 2022, at 2:27 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I don't think there is a need to make a decision on this quickly, but based on past experience and the current discussions about Jakarta EE 11 I think this is something we need to start thinking about.
>
> Some key facts:
>
> - Tomcat 7.0.x reached EOL on 31 March 2021
> - EOL dates for major versions tend to be 3-4 years apart
> - We aim to support 3 major versions in parallel - currently 8.5.x,
>  9.0.x and 10.1.x.
> - Tomcat 11 will implement Jakarta EE 11
> - Current Jakarta EE discussions are around a release in ~1 year
> - Ideally, Tomcat 8.5.x EOL would be just after Tomcat 11 is declared
>  stable
>
> Based on the above I think EOL for 8.5.x should be either 31 March 2024 or 30 Sept 2024 depending on when we think Jakarta EE 11 will be released.
>
> Jakarta EE releases have tendency to slip so I think the 30 Sept 2024 is probably the more likely. However, it is much easier to delay an EOL date than to bring to bring it forward so my current thinking is to announce 31 March 2024 as the EOL date for 8.5.x and keep in mind that we can extend that if we want to.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.  From a TomEE perspective, the only release streams that'd be affected are TomEE 7.1 and 7.0.  Both of those already have unmaintained dependencies with CVEs, so releases of them have already stopped.

-David