Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2007/04/28 01:33:29 UTC

[Brainstorming] 0.9 release

Hi devs,

to have a quick release let us start early to plan and have a well
defined feature list.

- build on ivy dependency management
- make core independent of theming engine (re-factory regarding
skins-plugin, all code of the core regarding skinning have to go to a
plugin)
-- core build target
-- core sitemaps

This leaves us with a clean core regarding skinning.

- release dispatcher to the core plugin

I think this three points can be done before the end of the year where
we should release 0.9.

One open point is cocoon/forrest2 for me but I still have not up my mind
about it.

salu2

Re: [Brainstorming] 0.9 release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 28/04/07, Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org> wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > First step is to review the issues that are scheduled
> > for 0.9-dev version. Many of these were just pushed over
> > in an effort to get the 0.8 release out. Now we need to
> > review the Roadmap and get realistic.
>
> Whatever happended with the move to xhtml. I didn't see it anywhere in
> the issues scheduled for .9. I'd really like to get this done before any
> more work goes into the old core format.

Only one way to ensure that, do it!

(note my Forrest 2 experiment uses XHTML2)

Ross

Re: [Brainstorming] 0.9 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > First step is to review the issues that are scheduled
> > for 0.9-dev version. Many of these were just pushed over
> > in an effort to get the 0.8 release out. Now we need to
> > review the Roadmap and get realistic.
>
> Whatever happended with the move to xhtml. I didn't see it anywhere in
> the issues scheduled for .9. I'd really like to get this done before any
> more work goes into the old core format.

Agreed. In the long lead-up to the 0.8 release we
occasionally reviewed the list of "unscheduled" issues [1]
to schedule some for the 0.8-dev cycle. Approaching the
0.8 release we moved some of the scheduled ones over to
the 0.9-dev cycle.

Now we need to again re-visit the "unscheduled" list
to schedule some more. The "XHTML in the core" issue
will be one of those. All of us need to review the lists.
When it is close, we need to run the final list by the
dev@ mailing list to again start moving the non-achievable
issues over to the 0.10 version. See the archives of the
dev mailing list for the previous effort.

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters

-David

Re: [Brainstorming] 0.9 release

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> First step is to review the issues that are scheduled
> for 0.9-dev version. Many of these were just pushed over
> in an effort to get the 0.8 release out. Now we need to
> review the Roadmap and get realistic.

Whatever happended with the move to xhtml. I didn't see it anywhere in
the issues scheduled for .9. I'd really like to get this done before any
more work goes into the old core format.

Best regards,
Ferdinand Soethe

Re: [Brainstorming] 0.9 release

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> to have a quick release let us start early to plan and have a well
> defined feature list.

First step is to review the issues that are scheduled
for 0.9-dev version. Many of these were just pushed over
in an effort to get the 0.8 release out. Now we need to
review the Roadmap and get realistic.

All developers can help with this phase.

See http://forrest.apache.org/issues.html#filters
at FOR-roadmap-dev

-David

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 28/04/07, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> to have a quick release let us start early to plan and have a well
> defined feature list.

I agree in principle, but I'm not sure how active I will be on 0.9. We
are using Forrest again (hurrah!), but there are issues with it that
may see us going in a different direction as the project matures (see
my original RT thread prior to 0.8 relase). I'll be addressing these
issues by resurecting my RT once I have come good on my promise for a
release management proposal. This proposal will incorporate a proposal
for parallel development on 1.0 and 2.0.

> I think this three points can be done before the end of the year where
> we should release 0.9.

Bahh!!! 6 months is too long. We should be aiming for 0.9 in 3 months
tops. The Ivy build will not take long, we can then do integration
testing on updated jars, bug fixes from 0.8 and issues we don't want
to roll over again (see Davids mail in this thread) will be sufficient
for a 0.9 release.

We need a much faster release cycle every three months at least. Don't
worry I'm going to be proposing a more streamlined release process
which includes:

- more automation
- more automated testing
- stable and unstable releases (just like Linux Kernel or Apache HTTPD)

One more note, dispatcher is a plugin so it has an independent
lifecycle and 0.9 should not be dependent on it. I am in favour of it
coming out of whiteboard but not the 0.9 release being dependent on
that happening.

Ross