Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marc Haesen <Ma...@oneaccess-net.com> on 2009/02/03 09:50:20 UTC

single file externals not working for binary files

Hi,

It looks like single file externals are not working for files that are
binary (or considered binary).

Below is a script that can be used to reproduce the problem. The script
is setting two externals: one for a normal text file and one for a file
with svn:mime-type set to application/octet-stream.

You can see that the latest svn up is failing to fetch the external of
the binary file with the error message: svn: warning: Unrecognized line
ending style. The text file is fetched correctly.

I am using revision 35485 of trunk on windows. I am running it in the
root dir of a drive.

Script:

svnadmin create repos

svn co file:///repos wc1

cd wc1

mkdir dir1

echo test > dir1\file1

echo test2 > dir1\file2

svn add dir1

svn mkdir dir2

svn propset svn:mime-type application/octet-stream  dir1\file2

svn -m "1" commit

svn up

cd dir2

echo ../dir1/file1 file1 > externals.txt

echo ../dir1/file2 file2 >> externals.txt

svn propset -F externals.txt svn:externals .

cd ..

svn commit -m"2"

svn up

Output:

svnadmin create repos

svn co file:///repos wc1

Checked out revision 0.

cdd wc1

mkdir dir1

echo test > dir1\file1

echo test2 > dir1\file2

svn add dir1

A         dir1

A         dir1\file1

A         dir1\file2

svn mkdir dir2

A         dir2

svn propset svn:mime-type application/octet-stream  dir1\file2

property 'svn:mime-type' set on 'dir1\file2'

svn -m "1" commit

Adding         dir1

Adding         dir1\file1

Adding  (bin)  dir1\file2

Adding         dir2

Transmitting file data ..

Committed revision 1.

svn up

At revision 1.

cdd dir2

echo ../dir1/file1 file1 > externals.txt

echo ../dir1/file2 file2 >> externals.txt

svn propset -F externals.txt svn:externals .

property 'svn:externals' set on '.'

cdd ..

svn commit -m"2"

Sending        dir2

Committed revision 2.

svn up

Fetching external item into 'dir2\file1'

E    dir2\file1

Updated external to revision 2.

Fetching external item into 'dir2\file2'

svn: warning: Unrecognized line ending style

Updated to revision 2.

Regards,

Marc

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1095986

RE: single file externals not working for binary files

Posted by we...@tigris.org.
Hello,

Can someone please look into this? Having file externals completely working (including binary file externals) would attract many new users using older source control methods that support links.

I'm sorry if this isn't the conventional way of commenting about a bug (my first time).

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1596756

Re: single file externals not working for binary files

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Marc Haesen wrote on Tue, 3 Feb 2009 at 10:50 +0100:
> It looks like single file externals are not working for files that are
> binary (or considered binary).
>

> Below is a script that can be used to reproduce the problem. The script
> is setting two externals: one for a normal text file and one for a file
> with svn:mime-type set to application/octet-stream.
>

> You can see that the latest svn up is failing to fetch the external of
> the binary file with the error message: svn: warning: Unrecognized line
> ending style. The text file is fetched correctly.

Reproduced (with r34958).  I hope you'll get a response --- I didn't get
any when I reported issue #3351.

Is anyone planning to look at either of these issues?

Daniel

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1120456

RE: single file externals not working for binary files

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Marc Haesen wrote:
> Should I file an issue for this problem?

Yes, please do. Please include a link to this thread's web page in the
email archives, e.g.
<http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2009-02/0025.shtml>.

And if you are able to help in any way, perhaps by stepping through the
code in a debugger and showing us where it goes wrong, or by writing the
reproduction script as a Python test to add to the regression test
suite, that would get us moving towards fixing it. (I'm not able to
spend more than a few minutes on it myself.)

Thanks,
- Julian

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1128684

RE: single file externals not working for binary files

Posted by Marc Haesen <ma...@oneaccess-net.com>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1128494