Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/06 09:31:19 UTC

[VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Following the discussion earlier, I'm calling a vote to accept Fleece as a
new Incubator project.

 The proposal draft is available at:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Fleece, and is also included  below.

 Vote is open for at least 72h and closes at the earliest on 09 June 09:30
 GMT.

 [ ] +1 accept Fleece in the Incubator
 [ ] +/-0
 [ ] -1 because...

 Here's my +1.

--------------------------------
Apache Fleece Proposal

Abstract

Apache Fleece is an implementation of JSR-353 (JavaTM API for JSON
Processing).

Proposal

Apache Fleece will consist of a number of modules. Mainly an implementation
of JSR-353 but also a set of usefule modules to help with the usage of
JSR-353 (surely a mapping module and a jaxrs provider module).

Background

JSon being more and more important JavaEE 7 specified an API to read and
create JSon objects/arrays.

Apache Fleece builds on this specification a potential base to do Json at
Apache (hopefully it will be integrated with CXF for instance).

Rationale

There is not yet a Json related project at Apache but a lot of projects
rely on some specific implementions (jettison, jackson, others...).
Proposing a default would be great. The other point is a set of Apache
projects related to JavaEE (CXF, TomEE, Geronimo, Axis2...) will need an
implementation. Having one built at Apache is a really nice to have.

Initial Goals

The initial goal of the Apache Fleece project is to get a JSR-353 compliant
implementation

Current Status

Initial codebase was developped on github but designed to be integrated in
Apache.

Meritocracy

Initial community will be mainly composed of already Apache committers so
meritocracy is already something well known.

Community

Initial community will be composed of TomEE community for sure, hopefully
CXF and potentially all JSon users of Apache.

Initial committers

   - Romain Manni-Bucau (individual, ASF)
   - Jean-Louis Monteiro (individual, ASF)
   - Mark Struberg (individual, ASF member)
   - Gerhard Petracek (individual, ASF member)
   - David Blevins (individual, ASF member)
   - Sagara Gunathunga (ASF)

Alignment

Several Apache project will need a JSR-353 implementation. Having a project
which can be shared is better than having a sub project of a particular
project. Moreover this project makes sense "alone" since users can
integrate it without any other dependencies and use it to read/generate
Json in their project so it makes sense to create a dedicated project.

Known Risks

Main risk is to get a not so active project since the specification is not
that big.

Documentation

There is no documentation to import today but it will be created using
standard ASF tools (ASF CMS mainly).

Initial Source

Initial sources are on this git repository:
https://github.com/rmannibucau/json-impl.git

Source and IP Submission Plan

Initial sources are under Apache license v2.

Side note: it was really developed to be integrated in this project
(without waiting it to be created).

Required Resources

Mailing Lists

   -

   - dev@fleece.incubator.apache.org - commits@fleece.incubator.apache.org
   - private@fleece.incubator.apache.org

Version Control

It is proposed that the source code for the Apache Fleece project be hosted
in the Apache Git repository, under the following directory:

   - git.apache.org/incubator-fleece.git

Issue Tracking

The following JIRA project would be required to track issues for the Apache
Fleece project:

   - FLEECE

Initial Committers

   - Romain Manni-Bucau
   - Jean-Louis Monteiro
   - Mark Struberg
   - Gerhard Petracek
   - David Blevins

Sponsors

Champion

   - Mark Struberg

Nominated Mentors

   - Justin Mclean
   - Christian Grobmeier
   - Daniel Kulp

Project Name

Seems *Fleece* is the name which satisfies most of people but we can still
ask for a new name if we feel it needed before being graduated.
--------------------------------

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thank you!
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net
skype: enri-pan

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
+1
Thx Romain

--
Jean-Louis

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1

> [...]

>  - git.apache.org/incubator-fleece.git
>
> Issue Tracking
>
> The following JIRA project would be required to track issues for the Apache
> Fleece project:
>
>  - FLEECE
>
> Initial Committers
>
>  - Romain Manni-Bucau
>  - Jean-Louis Monteiro
>  - Mark Struberg
>  - Gerhard Petracek
>  - David Blevins
>
> Sponsors
>
> Champion
>
>  - Mark Struberg
>
> Nominated Mentors
>
>  - Justin Mclean
>  - Christian Grobmeier
>  - Daniel Kulp
>
> Project Name
>
> Seems *Fleece* is the name which satisfies most of people but we can still
> ask for a new name if we feel it needed before being graduated.

---

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 (binding). Good luck!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by dsh <da...@gmail.com>.
 [ X ] +1 accept Fleece in the Incubator
 [ ] +/-0
 [ ] -1 because...

Cheers
Daniel

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Good luck guys!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...good catch, not sure we need to reroll the vote for this typo, think we
> don't, isn't it?...

No worries, it's just a typo, just fix it on the wiki.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hehe,

Posted by Javier Abrego <ab...@gmail.com>.
I am new in the incubator list, i would like to vote accept this project
and take advantage of this opportunity to introduce myself to the
community, if the project is approved i definitely will contribute to it.

+1

Posted by abiola balogun <a_...@me.com>.
ok

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following the discussion earlier, I'm calling a vote to accept Fleece as a
> new Incubator project.

+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Dan

On Jun 6, 2014, at 3:31 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>   - git.apache.org/incubator-fleece.git
>
> Issue Tracking
>
> The following JIRA project would be required to track issues for the Apache
> Fleece project:
>
>   - FLEECE
>
> Initial Committers
>
>   - Romain Manni-Bucau
>   - Jean-Louis Monteiro
>   - Mark Struberg
>   - Gerhard Petracek
>   - David Blevins
>
> Sponsors
>
> Champion
>
>   - Mark Struberg
>
> Nominated Mentors
>
>   - Justin Mclean
>   - Christian Grobmeier
>   - Daniel Kulp
>
> Project Name
>
> Seems *Fleece* is the name which satisfies most of people but we can still
> ask for a new name if we feel it needed before being graduated.

Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following the discussion earlier, I'm calling a vote to accept Fleece as a
> new Incubator project.
>
>  The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Fleece, and is also included  below.
>
>  Vote is open for at least 72h and closes at the earliest on 09 June 09:30
>  GMT.
>
>  [ ] +1 accept Fleece in the Incubator
>  [ ] +/-0
>  [ ] -1 because...

+1 Binding.  Best of luck guys.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

-David

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

-Jake

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following the discussion earlier, I'm calling a vote to accept Fleece as a
> new Incubator project.
>
>  The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Fleece, and is also included  below.
>
>  Vote is open for at least 72h and closes at the earliest on 09 June 09:30
>  GMT.
>
>  [ ] +1 accept Fleece in the Incubator
>  [ ] +/-0
>  [ ] -1 because...

+1 (binding)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] fleece as new incubator project

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 09:31:19AM +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Following the discussion earlier, I'm calling a vote to accept Fleece as a
> new Incubator project.
>
>  The proposal draft is available at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Fleece, and is also included  below.
>
>  Vote is open for at least 72h and closes at the earliest on 09 June 09:30
>  GMT.
>
>  [ ] +1 accept Fleece in the Incubator
>  [ ] +/-0
>  [ ] -1 because...