Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Acland <hu...@googlemail.com> on 2007/08/14 10:34:31 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTP headers anomaly

Hi - I am confused as to the role that my Apache Server has when it comes to
http headers. I am running Apache HTTPD in front of glassfish and have
written some hacky code to display all the header attributes from a request
arriving at the web server. This is what i get:

----------------------

accept : */*

accept-language : en-us

UA-CPU : x86

accept-encoding : gzip, deflate

user-agent : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
1.1.4322) host :
*www.XXXXXXXXXXX.com* <http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.com/> connection : Keep-Alive
content-length : 0
---------------------

I thought that there was also a lot more information passed in the header
files such as screen size, number of colours, etc. Indeed there are websites
out there which can tell you all this info about your specific browser. Even
the available screen size so that when you resize the browser window and
re-load the web-page (ie. resend the http request) the new available screen
size is calculated.

My question is this: do I need to configure the Apache Server to use/process
all the header file?

Really appreciate some help on this one...

Hugh

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP headers anomaly

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:16:09 +0100
"Hugh Acland" <hu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, silly me. However am I correct in saying that all mobile
> devices DO send the screen size in the http headers - even if not all
> mobile devices conform to the cc/pp protocol?

Couldn't speak for all mobile devices.

I know some do, as it enables a proxy to optimise contents for
them, and in particular reduce byte-counts for slow/expensive
situations.  I wrote such a proxy back in 2004.

> I am trying to ascertain if there is a rigid standard which all mobile
> manufactures adhere to in order to give us humble developers a
> sporting chance of creating content which will be viewable on all
> devices....

That's easy.  Just use HTML without subverting it by stupid tricks,
and it'll adapt nicely by design.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/

Re: [users@httpd] HTTP headers anomaly

Posted by Hugh Acland <hu...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks, silly me. However am I correct in saying that all mobile devices DO
send the screen size in the http headers - even if not all mobile devices
conform to the cc/pp protocol?

for instance this is the http headers for a PDA (which does send a cc/pp
vocab URL)
accept  :  */*
accept-language  :  en-us
UA-OS  :  Windows CE (Pocket PC) - Version 5.1
UA-color  :  color16
x-wap-profile  :  "http://www.htcmms.com.tw/gen/hermes-1.0.xml"
UA-Voice  :  TRUE
UA-pixels  :  240x320
UA-CPU  :  x86
accept-encoding  :  gzip,deflate
user-agent  :  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8)
Xda_trion; 240x320
host  :  www.XXXXXXXXXXX.com
Cache-Control  :  max-age=43200
connection  :  keep-alive
content-length  :  0

I am trying to ascertain if there is a rigid standard which all mobile
manufactures adhere to in order to give us humble developers a sporting
chance of creating content which will be viewable on all devices....

Cheers again
Hugh

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.