Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com> on 2007/04/30 18:37:10 UTC

Tap 4.1.1 TextField Ajax question

I am attempting to use @EventListener to submit the value of a TextField
onChange.  So, I have an input defined:

        <input jwcid="myField" value="ognl:text"
               displayName="Text" />

In the page class I have:

    @Component(bindings = {"validators=validators:required"})
    public abstract TextField getMyField();

    @EventListener(events={"onchange"}, elements="myField")
    public void testEvent(IRequestCycle cycle)
    {
        logger.debug("LOOKHERE... " + getText());
    }

But I'll be darned if any of the events are firing.

To rule out other problems, I copied the "big brother is watching"
sample from:

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/eventlistener.html

to the same page, and it works just fine..

30 Apr 2007 11:35:36,658 [http-8080-Processor24] DEBUG
com.starpoint.instihire.web.tapestry.page.Test  - User clicked on x/y
coordinates 159/326

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  My final goal is to have a dropdown
update it's contents based on the text in the TextField, but until I can
dynamically get it's value I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Tony Nelson

Re: Tap 4.1.1 TextField Ajax question

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Yes, 4.1.2  requires ognl 2.7-SNAPSHOT.
http://howardlewisship.com/repository/ognl/ognl/

On 4/30/07, Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com> wrote:

> I would be very happy to use Tapestry 4.1.2 but I run into a problem
> every time I try the latest snapshot:
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ognl/enhance/ExpressionAccessor
>
> I assume this related to the OGNL stability you mention.
>
> Is there a newer beta of OGNL I grab from somewhere to get moving
> along?  If so I'll just throw it in my local repository for now.
>
> Thanks again
> Tony
>

> Jesse Kuhnert wrote:
> > You want to use targets="" . Elements = "" is strictly for pure html
> > elements and not tapestry components.
> >
> > If you use the 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT version it will also automatically
> > figure out
> > which form your targeted components are attached to and submit that as
> > part
> > of the event so that you can do things like get the current value of the
> > field.
> >
> > 4.1.2 should be released very soon, just holding out for ognl stability.
> >
> > On 4/30/07, Tony Nelson <tn...@starpoint.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am attempting to use @EventListener to submit the value of a
> TextField
> >> onChange.  So, I have an input defined:
> >>
> >>         <input jwcid="myField" value="ognl:text"
> >>                displayName="Text" />
> >>
> >> In the page class I have:
> >>
> >>     @Component(bindings = {"validators=validators:required"})
> >>     public abstract TextField getMyField();
> >>
> >>     @EventListener(events={"onchange"}, elements="myField")
> >>     public void testEvent(IRequestCycle cycle)
> >>     {
> >>         logger.debug("LOOKHERE... " + getText());
> >>     }
> >>
> >> But I'll be darned if any of the events are firing.
> >>
> >> To rule out other problems, I copied the "big brother is watching"
> >> sample from:
> >>
> >> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/ajax/eventlistener.html
> >>
> >> to the same page, and it works just fine..
> >>
> >> 30 Apr 2007 11:35:36,658 [http-8080-Processor24] DEBUG
> >> com.starpoint.instihire.web.tapestry.page.Test  - User clicked on x/y
> >> coordinates 159/326
> >>
> >> Am I barking up the wrong tree?  My final goal is to have a dropdown
> >> update it's contents based on the text in the TextField, but until I
> can
> >> dynamically get it's value I'm stuck.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for all the help.
> >> Tony Nelson