Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Robin James <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/31 18:27:27 UTC

Help on X11 - gucamole

Hi Mike and All,

  Thank you very much for adding me to the group.
  I understand that Guacamole is free and open source project. My aim is to
add X11 protocol support to guacamole so that x11 systems can be connected.
I wrote a plugin and tried configuring with guacamole, but I'm facing
errors like plugin is not loaded/recognised.

Any sample code or example for x11 plugin would help me a lot to progress.
I just need to establish the connectivity between x11 server and client
through guacamole.
So any help appreciated.

Regards,
Robin

Re: Help on X11 - gucamole

Posted by Robin James <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Everyone,

  This is a gentle reminder for my earlier request. Can anyone please
advice me on the issue I am facing from guacamole which I explained in my
earlier email.

Regard,
Robin

Re: Help on X11 - gucamole

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Robin James <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>   I need a help from you for testing and debugging my new plugin
> implementation with guacamole. I was able to build my new plugin for x11
> with guacamole and the libraries are generated in usr/lib folder.I have
> enabled the sys log and I'm running the guacd in debug mode.The error I'm
> getting is the plugin is not loaded to the guacamole and it is coming from
> guacamole before hitting any of my code. I have checked the authentication
> part by replacing the vnc libraries and it looks good. Could you please
> help me to make progress on this. I am completely stopped at this error.

If you're installing to /usr/lib, can you confirm that the plugin is present as:

/usr/lib/libguac-client-x11.so

?

Assuming that is the case, what is the output of:

ldd -r /usr/lib/libguac-client-x11.so

?

All that said, from my earlier response:

> The X11 protocol doesn't work in the same way as VNC, RDP, etc. with respect
> to the concept of a server and client, and I don't think you can use the same
> approach here. While VNC or RDP provide clients with a view of the display,
> X11 does not do this. X11 clients are the applications rendering to the
> display, with the display itself not really being part of the protocol, but
> rather an integral component of the server. We already have an effort underway
> for adding the functional equivalent of X11 support, but it has taken the form
> of a display and input driver for the X.Org X11 server (see thread linked
> above).

Regardless of the issues you're having with getting guacd to find your
custom plugin, I really don't think a protocol plugin is a good
approach for this, and there is work underway upstream for achieving
the same. Rather than spin your wheels trying to start from scratch,
have you taken a look at the work we have already done?

Taking into account X11's different architecture relative to VNC and
RDP, is there a reason you are trying to go with the guacd plugin
approach?

Thanks,

- Mike

Re: Help on X11 - gucamole