Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com> on 2003/01/03 20:54:14 UTC

servletContext().getInitParameter() not working as expected

Hi,

It seems that when I call getServletContext().getInitParameter(), it
works sometimes but not others.  That is to say, I've stored my JDBC
connection URL and the string containing the JDBC driver name in
<context-param> entries.  But I've created a "test" <context-param>
entry containing nothing more than a meaningless string.  I'm trying to
get this string to echo to output, but it's not happening -- instead,
"null" is getting printed.  Anyone have any idea what's up?

Here's the relevant part of my WEB-INF/web.xml:

     <context-param>
         <param-name>stringtotest</param-name>
         <param-value>kasdfasdfadsfl</param-value>
     </context-param>

Here's the relevant part of my servlet code:

     out.println("<p>And here is the value of our"
                 + "<b>stringtotest</b> context parameter: "
                 + getServletContext().getInitParameter("stringtotest")
                 + "&lt;-- right here");

I get no errors in the logs, or upon restarting the webapp so I know my
WEB-INF/web.xml file is syntactically correct.  Also, as I mentioned
above, in the same servlet I'm able to connect to a database using a URL
string from a <context-param> entry.  But this context-param entry seems
to only echo "null".  Anyone know why?

Thanks,

Erik