Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2009/03/23 05:27:34 UTC

10.5 - changes/release notes...

Hi,

Those of you who (thank you!) took the time to review the first draft
of the 10.5 release notes, may have noticed that I did not include a
CHANGES.html. I'd like to simplify the release process by permanently
eliminating the generation of a separate release notes vs.
changes(.html) file.

This means that the list of fixed jira issues in the release notes
includes both user-visible fixes and changes only visible or relevant
to developers.

I think the mechanism of having a dedicated release note for the
issues that are likely to affect users and a section specially
highlighting new functionality is enough to be highlight what we think
will be specially interesting to users.

This means that I intend to actually remove the ChangesFileGenerator
and references to it, unless someone has a strong objection...

This is in a way a reprise of previous discussions - for 10.3 I
laboriously split out fixes that were found and fixed in the same
version and issues that dealt with only test fixes; for 10.4 no
CHANGES.html seems to have been created and for 10.4.2.0 the
CHANGES.html was also abandoned.

Myrna

Re: 10.5 - changes/release notes...

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Those of you who (thank you!) took the time to review the first draft
> of the 10.5 release notes, may have noticed that I did not include a
> CHANGES.html. I'd like to simplify the release process by permanently
> eliminating the generation of a separate release notes vs.
> changes(.html) file.
>
> This means that the list of fixed jira issues in the release notes
> includes both user-visible fixes and changes only visible or relevant
> to developers.
>
> I think the mechanism of having a dedicated release note for the
> issues that are likely to affect users and a section specially
> highlighting new functionality is enough to be highlight what we think
> will be specially interesting to users.
>
> This means that I intend to actually remove the ChangesFileGenerator
> and references to it, unless someone has a strong objection...
>
> This is in a way a reprise of previous discussions - for 10.3 I
> laboriously split out fixes that were found and fixed in the same
> version and issues that dealt with only test fixes; for 10.4 no
> CHANGES.html seems to have been created and for 10.4.2.0 the
> CHANGES.html was also abandoned.
>
> Myrna

+1