Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Byrne <ji...@glasgowwestend.co.uk> on 2003/12/09 22:45:20 UTC

[users@httpd] apache on raq4 .htaccess and standard erorr behaviour not working.

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me with this problem I have had for months without
finding a solution.

I got have a raq4 - and the first time I tried to use .htaccess to protect a
directory on my server, it did not work. When trying to access the directory
via the browser I was getting an error dialog saying, 'document contains no
data' (Netscape), or attempt to load accessing URL http... failed
(Explorer).

After spending time on the Yahoo Raq forum I confirmed that the .htaccess
file itself was not the problem (it was created correctly and had the
correct priveleges and so on) - it seems to be a problem with apache itself.

When the browser tries to access a file that does not exist, I do not get
the standard 404 response - but get the same error messages as when
accessing a directory containing a .htaccess file (either 'document contains
no data, or attempt to load accessing URL failed' depending on browser)

The following report back when trying to access a non-existent file on my
server using links may be of use to an expert Apache debugger:

lynx -source -dump http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/fdj
Looking up www.glasgowwestend.co.uk.
Making HTTP connection to www.glasgowwestend.co.uk.
Sending HTTP request.
HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
Alert!: Unexpected network read error; connection aborted.
Can't Access `http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/fdj'
Alert!: Unable to access document.
lynx: Can't access startfil

I have looked at the Apache configuration file to see if I could notice any
obvious mistakes, but I didn't see anything - though I'm not experienced
enough to know what to look for.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated as it has been
unresoved for quite some time.

All the best,
Jim

--
My recommended eBook: 'Accessible Web Typography - an introduction for web
designers' at http://www.scotconnect.com/webtype.php

Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk
Flathunting: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/flathunting/