Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Matthew Pomar <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2003/09/09 17:08:33 UTC

Hibernate or Torque... What's the Future?

A proposal is included in Turbine version 2.3 to integrate Hibernate.

It is my impression Hibernate is widely used and has fantastic
documentation. There are a number of code generation utilities for it, and
it appears to be well tested and high performance.

I would like to make sure that I'm not wasting my time builing my project on
Torque if it will be replaced by Hibernate in the near future.

Does anyone know the status of the Hibernate integration?

Thanks,
 - Matt

Re: Hibernate or Torque... What's the Future?

Posted by Akmal Sarhan <as...@byteaction.de>.
I think Eric that it would be interesting for us to know your experience
with both of the tools, and why you switched to Hibernate.
and how about the learning curve..etc.
 regards
Akmal
Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.

[SNIP]

> Basically, if you can write your app with NO persistence, and then
> later add your persistence in, then you wrote it correctly, and
> plugging in Torque/Hibernate/JDO will be okay...

[SNIP]

This is very good advice.  My experience also revealed to me that
adding persistance early in the project was a misstep.  Putting it in
when its needed and not before seems to lead us to simpler designs.

                                                    ekkerbj@yahoo.com

Re: Hibernate or Torque... What's the Future?

Posted by Matthew Pomar <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Eric,

Thanks for the advice.

Would you mind sharing your environment with me? What I mean is what IDE are
you using to develop with? What code generation tool(s) are you using to
create hibernate classes, deployment descriptors, DTO's, DAO's, etc...

Thanks again.
 - Matt

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
I think the key thing to keep in mind is that it isn't "Hibernate or
Torque"..  It's Hibernate/Torque/OJB and friends..  Half of the work in T2.3
was to make is easier to swap in various components.  We shouldn't be tied
down to implementation details like torque or hibernate, instead the turbine
(or your app) should work via good clean interfaces and not care what the
ORM tool is.

I'm expecting that people at some point are going to be asking why we can
leverage commons-validator in our Intake code, a similar type situation.
Admittedly, you have your own problems when you try and abstract totally
away from your implementation.  You can end up with a worst of all breeds
solution.

Something to look at is the xingu project.  In it we have both OJB and
Hibernate providers for some common objects like users, business objects,
etc..  Proof that you can coexist with multiple providers.

the Fulcrum security project that I worked on was another effort to
faciliate multiple underlying persistence layers.  For example, there are
Memory persistence, Hibernate, and Torque.  It would be simple to add in the
OJB version as well.

Note, the torque is pretty raw as I don't use it:

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.

Posted by David Wynter <da...@roamware.co.uk>.
Hi Eric,