Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Scott Simpson <an...@scottsimpson.tv> on 2005/07/09 00:04:29 UTC

Why does Hatcher put # in front of properties.xml comments?

I noticed in Hatcher's properties.xml example file from Java Development
with Ant that he puts a # in front of the comments? What is the reason
for this? Thanks.

Re: Why does Hatcher put # in front of properties.xml comments?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 8, 2005, at 6:04 PM, Scott Simpson wrote:
> I noticed in Hatcher's properties.xml example file from Java
> Development with Ant that he puts a # in front of the comments?
> What is the reason for this? Thanks.

Dredging up ancient painful memories...

The reason is because those # marks were used to add annotations into
the book itself.  The Manning template for code annotations requires
"# ..." marks beside code listings in (gasp) Microsoft Word.

These marks have no special meaning in properties XML files nor would
I recommend you emulate that style.

     Erik