Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kissue Kissue <ki...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/13 15:06:06 UTC

Problem with result grouping

Hi,

Maybe there is something i am missing here but i have a field in my solr
index called categoryId. The field definition is as follows:

<field name="categoryId" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"
required="true" />

I am trying to group on this field and i get a result as follows:
<str name="groupValue">43201810</str>
    <result name="doclist" numFound="72" start="0">

This is the query i am sending to solr:
http://localhost:8080/solr/catalogue/select/?q=*.*%0D%0A&version=2.2&start=0&rows=1000&indent=on&group=true&group.field=categoryId

My understanding is that this means there are 72 documents in my index that
have the value 43201810 for categoryId. Now surprisingly when i search my
index specifically for categoryId:43201810 expecting to get 72 results i
instead get 124 results. This is the query sent:
http://localhost:8080/solr/catalogue/select/?q=categoryId%3A43201810&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on

Is my understanding of result grouping correct? Is there something i am
doing wrong. Any help will be much appreciated. I am using Solr 3.5

Thanks.

RE: Problem with result grouping

Posted by "Young, Cody" <Co...@move.com>.
There's another discussion going on about this in the solr users mail
list, but I think you're using *.* instead of *:* to match all
documents. *.* ends up doing a search against the default field where
*:* means match all documents.

Cody