Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2020/04/28 16:30:02 UTC

Remove org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.bio

Hi,

I'm still looking at things to remove or refactor in 10 following the
rearchitecting failure for the Connector. One candidate could be the Tribes
transport, since NIO is the default and BIO is probably never used.

Can it be removed ?

There are a few classes here and there that could go too, for example that
BufferPool15Impl class. Given the name, I would say it could be merged into
the superclass.

Comments ?

Rémy

Re: Remove org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.bio

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:30 PM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still looking at things to remove or refactor in 10 following the
> rearchitecting failure for the Connector. One candidate could be the Tribes
> transport, since NIO is the default and BIO is probably never used.
>
> Can it be removed ?

+1

> There are a few classes here and there that could go too, for example that
> BufferPool15Impl class. Given the name, I would say it could be merged into
> the superclass.

+1 from me :D

Posted by Filip Hanik <fi...@hanik.com>.
On 4/29/20 8:56 AM, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 7:18 PM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/04/2020 17:30, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I'm still looking at things to remove or refactor in 10
>     following the
>     > rearchitecting failure for the Connector. One candidate could be the
>     > Tribes transport, since NIO is the default and BIO is probably
>     never used.
>     >
>     > Can it be removed ?
>
>     I don't see why not.
>
>     > There are a few classes here and there that could go too, for
>     example
>     > that BufferPool15Impl class. Given the name, I would say it could be
>     > merged into the superclass.
>
>     +1
>

> Done. I wonder if this global static cache is actually that useful
> anymore.

ByteBuffers when first introduced, promised a lot, and delivered very
little. The performance implications of creating new ones were pretty
bad, imho.

There is a good chance that much of this has changed as the JVMs have
evolved, and that a lot of code could be removed for the benefit of
simplicity without sacrificing performance

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filip Hanik <fi...@hanik.com>.
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:18 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28/04/2020 17:30, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm still looking at things to remove or refactor in 10 following the
> > rearchitecting failure for the Connector. One candidate could be the
> > Tribes transport, since NIO is the default and BIO is probably never
> used.
> >
> > Can it be removed ?

+1.

> I don't see why not.
>
> > There are a few classes here and there that could go too, for example
> > that BufferPool15Impl class. Given the name, I would say it could be
> > merged into the superclass.
>
> +1

+1.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/04/2020 17:30, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still looking at things to remove or refactor in 10 following the
> rearchitecting failure for the Connector. One candidate could be the
> Tribes transport, since NIO is the default and BIO is probably never used.
>
> Can it be removed ?

I don't see why not.

> There are a few classes here and there that could go too, for example
> that BufferPool15Impl class. Given the name, I would say it could be
> merged into the superclass.

+1

Mark