Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/04 00:10:40 UTC

[OT] My O'Reilly Open Source Conference Talk

I just uploaded the slides from my OSCON talk this afternoon,
comparing several web frameworks on how they implement six major
architectural features.  Several people have asked for them, so here's
a link:

  http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/oscon_2005_web_architectures.pdf

They are also on the OSCON web site.

Craig

RE: [OT] My O'Reilly Open Source Conference Talk

Posted by Mark Benussi <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Nope what channel is it on?

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Posted by M4RC0 <m4...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Posted by M4RC0 <m4...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but:
what's the meaning of "dog's gonads"? :P

2005/8/4, Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>:
> Craig McClanahan on 03/08/05 23:10, wrote:
> > I just uploaded the slides from my OSCON talk this afternoon,
> > comparing several web frameworks on how they implement six major
> > architectural features.  Several people have asked for them, so here's
> > a link:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/oscon_2005_web_architectures.pdf
>
> Can I summarise in a slightly Friday manner :)
>
> (1) Struts: v1.3 should be better, in fact there are at least 5 major
> points that need addressing
>
> (2) Webwork: kind of weird, has Actions but has unknowns like XWork,
> interceptor stacks, OGNL
>
> (3) Spring MVC: totally flexible, configurable, wide variety of
> implementations - everything to everybody. Sounds like it can make
> coffee too. Good if you love XML config files.
>
> (4) Tapestry: even weirder than Webwork, and you don't get to use JSPs,
> you have to write your HTML like ColdFusion
>
> (5) JSF: obviously the dog's gonads

M4RC0

Re: [OT] My O'Reilly Open Source Conference Talk

Posted by "Craig A. Vanderborgh" <cr...@voxware.com>.
Adam Hardy wrote:

> Craig McClanahan on 03/08/05 23:10, wrote:
>
>> I just uploaded the slides from my OSCON talk this afternoon,
>> comparing several web frameworks on how they implement six major
>> architectural features.  Several people have asked for them, so here's
>> a link:
>>
>>   http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/oscon_2005_web_architectures.pdf
>

> Can I summarise in a slightly Friday manner :)
>
> (1) Struts: v1.3 should be better, in fact there are at least 5 major
> points that need addressing
>
> (2) Webwork: kind of weird, has Actions but has unknowns like XWork,
> interceptor stacks, OGNL
>
> (3) Spring MVC: totally flexible, configurable, wide variety of
> implementations - everything to everybody. Sounds like it can make
> coffee too. Good if you love XML config files.

This is kind of a breezy and under-informed synopsis.  Spring Web MVC is
about the same in terms of XML configuration as Struts, but it has
back-end infrastructure and really clean good design, both of which
Struts lack.  Instead of "being everything to everybody", it's "exactly
what people like us" (and thousands of others) need.

If you're still stuck on Struts like we were, why?  It's 2005, and
Struts is now O-L-D and it hasn't aged especially well.  Spring turns
out a much better solution for most web applications than Struts.  To
summarize more meaningfully, the primary benefits of Spring compared
with Struts and other solutions are:

1. Spring is a much more complete application framework providing
persistence infrastructure, AOP, lightweight container, etc. in addition
to web MVC.
2. Spring is non-invasive and is a "pick-and-choose" framework.  It
provides just about everything most people need, but you only have to
learn about and use the things YOU need/want.
3. Spring is the right solution for those among us who are tired of
being their own integrator.  With Spring, the infrastructure is already
integrated and so this is a significant time saver for many projects.
4. Spring is a first-principles design framework.  It was very carefully
and very elegantly designed from the ground up by Rod Johnson and
Juergen Hoeller.  If you are even a little bit careful, these ideas will
permeate your own application.  And these are great ideas.  So when you
build a Spring application correctly you end up with something that is
an intrinsically better and therefore more long-lasting and flexible
piece of software.

Regards,
craig vanderborgh

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.