Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Edmar Edilton da Silva <ra...@ic.unicamp.br> on 2000/12/22 15:39:52 UTC

Measure of performance !!!

        Hi all,

    Some days ago I sent a question about performance of Oracle and MS
SQL Server databases, but I don't got any answer that help me. I have
installed on my machine:
Linux Red Hat 6.2
Apache 1.3.14 (installed on machine 1 )
mod_perl 1.24-1
DBD::Oracle
DBD::Sybase ( to access the MS SQL Server database )
Oracle (installed on machine 2 )
MS SQL Server (installed on machine 3 )

I know using the Apache::DBI module the connection time is reduced, but
I need to make some tests of performance without Apache::DBI. The Oracle
and SQL Server servers are running on different machines that Web
server. I undestand one Oracle connection consumes more resources that
SQL Server, but there is a thing that I don't undestand, when I ran the
tests for SQL Server the machine 1 works properly, but when I ran the
tests for Oracle the machine 1 works much more slow. Same with the
database servers installed on different machines that Web server, does
one connection Oracle consume more resources on the machine 1 that a SQL
Server connection? Why? Why does the machine 1 work much more slow for
Oracle? Please, if someone must help me I will be very thankful. Happy
hollidays for everyone.

            Edmar Edilton da Silva
    Bacharel em Ci�ncia da Computac�o - UFV
  Mestrando em Ci�ncia da Computac�o - UNICAMP

Re: Measure of performance !!!

Posted by Buddy Lee Haystack <ha...@email.rentzone.org>.
Didn't someone already mention that it takes longer to connect to an Oracle database?

If you don't use the Apache::DBI module, the Oracle database will be slower because it takes longer to connect to it for each request. By using the Apache::DBI module you effectively negate the time it takes to re-connect to the database for subsequent requests. You really need to use Apache::DBI to test for the differences in database performance, otherwise the excessive time to connect to the Oracle will always result in Oracle handling fewer requests than other databases that handle connections more efficiently.

Edmar Edilton da Silva wrote:

>         Hi all,
>
>     Some days ago I sent a question about performance of Oracle and MS SQL Server databases, but I don't got any answer that help me. I have installed on my machine:
> Linux Red Hat 6.2
> Apache 1.3.14 (installed on machine 1 )
> mod_perl 1.24-1
> DBD::Oracle
> DBD::Sybase ( to access the MS SQL Server database )
> Oracle (installed on machine 2 )
> MS SQL Server (installed on machine 3 )
>
> I know using the Apache::DBI module the connection time is reduced, but I need to make some tests of performance without Apache::DBI. The Oracle and SQL Server servers are running on different machines that Web server. I undestand one Oracle connection consumes more resources that SQL Server, but there is a thing that I don't undestand, when I ran the tests for SQL Server the machine 1 works properly, but when I ran the tests for Oracle the machine 1 works much more slow. Same with the database servers installed on different machines that Web server, does one connection Oracle consume more resources on the machine 1 that a SQL Server connection? Why? Why does the machine 1 work much more slow for Oracle? Please, if someone must help me I will be very thankful. Happy hollidays for everyone.

>             Edmar Edilton da Silva
>     Bacharel em Ciência da Computacão - UFV
>   Mestrando em Ciência da Computacão - UNICAMP

BLH
www.RentZone.org