Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Haller <ha...@ableton.com> on 2005/04/29 12:51:37 UTC

Error: "Chunk delimiter was invalid"

[ Sorry for sending to both dev@ and users@, I couldn't decide which one
  is more appropriate. ]

One of my co-workers is getting this error when he tries to do a merge
of a directory that contains several large files (one of them 41MB):

  $ svn merge -r22337:23745 http://localhost:8000/svn/<real-path-deleted> .
  U  Standard48AL3.fnt
  U  Standard48FKAL3.fnt
  subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=175002)
  svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default'
  subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:294: (apr_err=175002)
  svn: REPORT of '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was invalid (http://localhost:8000)

He is getting the error reproducibly, every time.  He accesses the
repository from home through an ssh tunnel.  I tried the same merge
operation both in the local network and from my home through an ssh
tunnel, it works fine for me; so I suspect it must have something to do
with the network config, like MTU settings or what do I know.

We are both using Mac OS X 10.3.9; svn is 1.1.4 (neon 0.24.7). The
server is running Debian linux, Apache 2.0.51, svn 1.1.4.  The
repository is fsfs.

We have neon logs (with neon-debug-mask=130) both of his failed attempt
and of my successful run.  Is anybody interested in looking at them?
They are 13MB together (4.3MB zipped).

--
Stefan Haller
Ableton

Re: Error: "Chunk delimiter was invalid"

Posted by Stefan Haller <ha...@ableton.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> --On Friday, April 29, 2005 2:51 PM +0200 Stefan Haller
> <ha...@ableton.com> wrote:
>
> > We are both using Mac OS X 10.3.9; svn is 1.1.4 (neon 0.24.7). The
> > server is running Debian linux, Apache 2.0.51, svn 1.1.4.  The
> > repository is fsfs.
>
> Have you tried httpd 2.0.54 yet?  -- justin

No.  Before I try that, do you have reason to believe that it could make
a difference, or is it just a shot in the dark?  How can you explain
that with 2.0.51 we only had the problems on one client machine (and
consistently there) but not on another?

Posted by Stefan Haller <ha...@ableton.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Michael Sinz wrote:
> Michael Sinz wrote:
>
 > Jonathan Wight wrote:
 >  > I have a weird subversion problem I'd like to pick your brains over.
 >  > I'm doing a checkout of a repository and get:
 >  >
 >  >     Fetching external item into 'toxic/externals/public'
 >  >     svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default'
 >  >     svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read
 >  > response body: SSL error: decryption failed or bad record mac
 >  > (https://puck.homeip.net)
 >  >
 >  > Think it's a SSL issue I try using the http: url:
 >  >
 >  >     svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default'
 >  >     svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter  was
 >  > invalid (http://puck.homeip.net)
 >  >
 >  > So I try using the file:// url scheme on the box itself and do a
 >  > successful checkout.
 >  >
 >  > Checking my HTTP error_log I see:
 >  >
 >  >     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] Provider
 >  > encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
 >  >     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] A  failure
 >  > occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #54]
 >  >     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client 192.168.1.1] Error
 >  > writing base64 data: Connection reset by peer  [500, #54]
 >  >

Ok, some more information (I am up way past my bed time :-)

Anyway, the raw repository files (FSFS repository) were shipped over to my
test system which is a x86 Linux system running SVN 1.1.4 and Apache 2.0.54
(all the latest fun stuff) and the checkout from a Linux client worked without
problems.

The same repository shows the problem when served from Mac OSX machine.

So, the exact same repository files as servered by his Mac OSX machine at
	http://puck.homeip.net/svn/public

are now also at
	http://svn.sinz.com:8000/svn/public

> Jonathan Wight continues:
>  > Feel free to submit the issue. The repository itself is at
>  > http://puck.homeip.net/svn/public so perhaps someone can reproduce it on their
>  > machine?
>  >
>  > The repository is fsfs (of course) and both the client & server are using the
>  > exact same version of svn (both freshly built yesterday from darwin ports).
>  >
>  > [schwa@oberon] Repositories$ du -s public
>  > 10832   public
>  > [schwa@oberon] Repositories$ du -s -h public
>  > 5.3M    public

More details on the library versions:

   apr 0.9.6_0 (active)
   apr-util 0.9.6_0 (active)
   db4 4.2.52_0 (active)
   expat 1.95.8_1 (active)
   libiconv 1.9.2_1 (active)
   neon 0.24.7_0 (active)

--
Michael Sinz                     Technology and Engineering Director/Consultant
"Starting Startups"                                mailto:michael.sinz@sinz.org

Re: Error: "Chunk delimiter was invalid"

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Michael Sinz wrote:
> Stefan Haller wrote:
>
>> One of my co-workers is getting this error when he tries to do a merge
>> of a directory that contains several large files (one of them 41MB):
>>
>>   $ svn merge -r22337:23745
>> http://localhost:8000/svn/<real-path-deleted> .
>>   U  Standard48AL3.fnt
>>   U  Standard48FKAL3.fnt
>>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=175002)
>>   svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default'
>>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:294: (apr_err=175002)
>>   svn: REPORT of '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was
>> invalid (http://localhost:8000)
>

> A friend of mine has just run into this problem and it too is on Mac OS-X

Ok, so I got the OK from him to give out details.  He even will provide access
to the repository in case some one else wishes to try.  BTW - He is a very
talented developer and he may (assuming he has time) be able to help track this
down some more.

Note that I can reproduce this using my 1.1.4 Linux client (built from source)
on an x86 2.4 Linux system.  The error output is the same as his reported output.

So, in his own words:

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Robert wrote:
> Hello.
> Just for the records. I have the same problems here on Mac OS Tiger,
> svn 1.1.4 with FSFS DB, httpd 2.0.54. When doing a checkout from one  of
> my linux boxes in the DMZ over a dedicated linux router to my Mac  I get
> those messages reproducably often. But sometimes a repeat of  the
> checkout command gets the next few files, quits with an error and  I
> have to repeat this procedure over and over again to get all files.
>
> Something wrong with the FSFS subsystem? Could that be a symptom for  a
> timeout?

Well, this weekend we found the problem.  It is Mac OS-X 10.4 and Apache2

With just Apache 2 on 10.4 "Tiger", any large file (We tried just 1meg files)
in Apache fail like 80% of the time.  As the size incrases they fail more
often.

Something is very broken between Apache2 and Mac-OS-X 10.4.
It has nothing to so with Subversion or FSFS.  (Or the networking hardware
since we have now reproduced this on other 10.4 systems with different
networking interconnects.)

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.
Stefan Haller wrote:
> [ Sorry for sending to both dev@ and users@, I couldn't decide which one
>   is more appropriate. ]
>
> One of my co-workers is getting this error when he tries to do a merge
> of a directory that contains several large files (one of them 41MB):
>
>   $ svn merge -r22337:23745 http://localhost:8000/svn/<real-path-deleted> .
>   U  Standard48AL3.fnt
>   U  Standard48FKAL3.fnt
>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=175002)
>   svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default'
>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:294: (apr_err=175002)
>   svn: REPORT of '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was invalid (http://localhost:8000)

A friend of mine has just run into this problem and it too is on Mac OS-X

Note, however, that it is with Subversion 1.1.4 and Apache 2.0.53 and
mod_dav_svn (I know, it is not 2.0.54 but I may be able to get him to try
that if needed)

I will try to get more information, but basically, he has the same error
(reproduceable) and it happens via HTTP (and HTTPS)  (redacted to not show
IP/Machine names)

HTTP Error:
     svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default'
     svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter  was invalid (http://xxxx)

The HTTP error_log looks as follows:

     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client xxx] Provider  encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client xxx] A  failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #54]
     [Sun May 01 15:27:11 2005] [error] [client xxx] Error  writing base64 data: Connection reset by peer  [500, #54]

HTTPS Error:
     svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default'
     svn: REPORT of '/svn/public/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read  response body: SSL error: decryption failed or bad record mac  (https://xxxx)

Using file:// he gets a clean checkout.

He claims to have run into this (or simular) errors in the past but that they
were resolved by just deleteing the WC and doing a fresh checkout.  This time
that is not the case.

Posted by Michael Sinz <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/05, Michael Sinz <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/05, Stefan Haller <ha...@ableton.com> wrote:
> > One of my co-workers is getting this error when he tries to do a merge
> > of a directory that contains several large files (one of them 41MB):
> >
> >   $ svn merge -r22337:23745 http://localhost:8000/svn/<real-path-deleted> .
> >   U  Standard48AL3.fnt
> >   U  Standard48FKAL3.fnt
> >   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=175002)
> >   svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default'
> >   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:294: (apr_err=175002)
> >   svn: REPORT of '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was invalid (http://localhost:8000)
> >
> > He is getting the error reproducibly, every time.  He accesses the
> > repository from home through an ssh tunnel.  I tried the same merge
> > operation both in the local network and from my home through an ssh
> > tunnel, it works fine for me; so I suspect it must have something to do
> > with the network config, like MTU settings or what do I know.
>
> So, I have been tracking what looks like the same problem and I believe
> we have it narrowed down to some interaction with the WiFi link.
>
> Is it possible that your co-worker, at home, is connected over a WiFi
> link?  If so, is it with a LinkSys WRT54G?  And if so, does it have the
> 3rd party firmware on it?

Well, it looked good until we tried some other hardware setups.  The
WiFi thing was a red herring.  Darn.  We are setting up another test
and should be able to say more tomorrow but I think our situation has
at least been proven to not be a Subversion problem.  We have reproduced
similar results without Subversion.  Sorry for all the posts here.  It was
just a bit more obscure than it initially looked.

Posted by Michael Sinz <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/29/05, Stefan Haller <ha...@ableton.com> wrote:
> One of my co-workers is getting this error when he tries to do a merge
> of a directory that contains several large files (one of them 41MB):
>
>   $ svn merge -r22337:23745 http://localhost:8000/svn/<real-path-deleted> .
>   U  Standard48AL3.fnt
>   U  Standard48FKAL3.fnt
>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:670: (apr_err=175002)
>   svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default'
>   subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/util.c:294: (apr_err=175002)
>   svn: REPORT of '/svn/Ableton/!svn/vcc/default': Chunk delimiter was invalid (http://localhost:8000)
>
> He is getting the error reproducibly, every time.  He accesses the
> repository from home through an ssh tunnel.  I tried the same merge
> operation both in the local network and from my home through an ssh
> tunnel, it works fine for me; so I suspect it must have something to do
> with the network config, like MTU settings or what do I know.

So, I have been tracking what looks like the same problem and I believe
we have it narrowed down to some interaction with the WiFi link.

Is it possible that your co-worker, at home, is connected over a WiFi
link?  If so, is it with a LinkSys WRT54G?  And if so, does it have the
3rd party firmware on it?

We have not yet tracked it down to the specific item but it has something
to do with WiFi and/or the WRT54G and/or the Sveasoft firmware.  More
testing to be done to try to find it.  As it stands, I still don't know why
this should cause problems since we are talking about TCP connections
but one never knows where the true bug is...

Posted by Michael Sinz <Mi...@sinz.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.