Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Florian Hopf <ma...@florian-hopf.de> on 2013/02/23 12:28:04 UTC

POI Workbook adapter for ODFToolkit

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I started work on a POI workbook
adapter for the ODFToolkit. The goal is to make the POI Workbook
functionality available for ODS documents so users can use the familiar
POI API to read and modify Open Document spreadsheets. The code still is
in an early stage but so far it looks quite promising. It's an
interesting task because it is a rather rare opportunity to have an
existing implementation that I can use to see how the API should behave.
I already noticed that the ODFToolkit needs some further enhancements
and fixes to implement all the functionality but I am waiting for the
current release to be completed.

I think providing the existing POI API for Open Document formats will be
a huge benefit for many users as for simple use cases I expect this to
be nearly a drop in replacement.

Regards
Florian

--
Florian Hopf
Freelance Software Developer

http://blog.florian-hopf.de

Re: POI Workbook adapter for ODFToolkit

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Feb 23, 2013, at 3:28 AM, Florian Hopf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I started work on a POI workbook adapter for the ODFToolkit. The goal is to make the POI Workbook functionality available for ODS documents so users can use the familiar POI API to read and modify Open Document spreadsheets. The code still is in an early stage but so far it looks quite promising. It's an interesting task because it is a rather rare opportunity to have an existing implementation that I can use to see how the API should behave. I already noticed that the ODFToolkit needs some further enhancements and fixes to implement all the functionality but I am waiting for the current release to be completed.
>
> I think providing the existing POI API for Open Document formats will be a huge benefit for many users as for simple use cases I expect this to be nearly a drop in replacement.

This is wonderful. I'm looking forward to the results. When you are closer you should also inform the Apache Tika community as this may also improve the consumption of ODF docs in text extraction. Tika is used by Apache Solr and Apache Jackrabbit (JCR).

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Florian Hopf <ma...@florian-hopf.de>.
Hi Yegor,

thanks for your message, it's good to know about the potential obstacles.

On 25.02.2013 16:48, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> What level of conformance are you aiming at ? Are you going to support
> all POI Spreadsheet interfaces or only a subset ?
 >
 > level 1: create / read simple spreadsheets with basic formatting.
 > Create sheets, rows, cells. Merge cells. . Iterate over the data. Set
 > cell values as strings, numbers, booleans, etc. This is functionality
 > of first releases of POI.

At the beginning I am aiming for the low hanging fruits which would be
level 1 of your iterations. These are the parts that already have a
convenience API available in the ODFToolkit that I can use directly. I
expect this to be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Everything else will require me to dig deeper into POI as well as the
OpenDocument specification but I'd continue if there is interest in the
work so far. It would be nice to have support for all the features but
we have to see how well the concept of OpenDocument formulas matches the
Excel world.

I will let you know when I am done with the basic functionality and of
course would be glad if someone could try it, possibly even on an
existing application that uses basic POI functionality.

Regards
Florian

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Florian,

This POI-ODF bridge is a very good idea and a very good collaboration
between our projects.

What level of conformance are you aiming at ? Are you going to support
all POI Spreadsheet interfaces or only a subset ?

This work will consist of several iterations, off the top of my head I
can name three:

level 1: create / read simple spreadsheets with basic formatting.
Create sheets, rows, cells. Merge cells. . Iterate over the data. Set
cell values as strings, numbers, booleans, etc. This is functionality
of first releases of POI.
level 2: advanced features, some of them may be Excel-specific:
header/footers, data validation, conditional formatting, cell
comments, etc. .
level 3: formulas and formula evaluation. POI's spreadsheet framework
can evaluate formulas and it is a VERY strong feature. Having it in
ODF would be a killer.

(1) is fairly simple . (2) and (3) may require efforts and research.

In POI we have a good set base unit tests which are called by HSSF and
XSSF implementations. Have a look at the classes in
 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/src/testcases/org/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/

Ideally, your code will re-use theese tests and pass all of them, at
least for the phase (1).

Regards,
Yegor

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 6:28 AM, Florian Hopf
<ma...@florian-hopf.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I started work on a POI workbook adapter
> for the ODFToolkit. The goal is to make the POI Workbook functionality
> available for ODS documents so users can use the familiar POI API to read
> and modify Open Document spreadsheets. The code still is in an early stage
> but so far it looks quite promising. It's an interesting task because it is
> a rather rare opportunity to have an existing implementation that I can use
> to see how the API should behave. I already noticed that the ODFToolkit
> needs some further enhancements and fixes to implement all the functionality
> but I am waiting for the current release to be completed.
>
> I think providing the existing POI API for Open Document formats will be a
> huge benefit for many users as for simple use cases I expect this to be
> nearly a drop in replacement.

This could be very cool, having the ability to write the application
logic once and then choose at runtime which format to write out.

-Rob