Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> on 2002/08/27 18:29:52 UTC

Change in module naming conventions

Hi everyone,

This has already been posted on the dev list, but with no replies (however
previous feedback has been positive to this regard), so I'll pass it
through here for some feedback before going on with it.

To find out how the new namespaces would look, I have gone through the
process of categorizing all mod_perl modules found on CPAN (by searching
for the Apache:: prefix).

What I came to was this:
http://users.skynet.be/pereinar/mod-perl/modules.txt

NOTE: I am *not* suggesting we rename all existing Apache:: modules, that
issue has been raised many times before, and is clearly impractical. This
list is only to get an idea of what categories could possibly be needed.
Think of it as a way of wrapping my mind around what is already here.

 From this, and some comments from other people, I have come to a set of
Module naming guidelines, which I just placed online for your perusal: see
here:
http://users.skynet.be/pereinar/mod-perl/products/apache-modules.html#Module_Naming_Conventions

Some questions I got which I'm not too sure of:
- I created the Apache::Util:: namespace. However, one person thought the
Persistent:: namespace to be too specific, and would prefer to rename
Apache::Util:: to something like ::Misc, ::Lib, ::Extensions or ::Addons,
and add the Persistent:: modules there. What do you think?
- I originally had Apache::Auth::Authen, ::Authz and ::Access, but Robin
Berjon told me he preferred to have the 4 as top-level namespaces. What do
people think?

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no

Re: Change in module naming conventions

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
At 18:59 27.08.2002, David Wheeler wrote:
>On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 09:46  AM, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>>It's actually Apache::Persistent, because the persistence modules in it
>>have big differences from the Apache::Util modules.
>
>Oh. So what's the complaint about Apache::Util:: ?

Not having the Persistent:: modules in it. And if it would have them in it,
Apache::Util wouldn't necessarily be a correct name. But I think we'll keep
Apache::Persistent and Apache::Util as is.

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 09:46  AM, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

> It's actually Apache::Persistent, because the persistence modules in
> it have big differences from the Apache::Util modules.

Oh. So what's the complaint about Apache::Util:: ?

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: Change in module naming conventions

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
At 20:14 27.08.2002, James G Smith wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no> wrote:
> >What I came to was this:
> >http://users.skynet.be/pereinar/mod-perl/modules.txt
>
>Looks good, overall.
>
>I like the Apache::Framework:: namespace :)

same; just shows how many there are.

> >Some questions I got which I'm not too sure of:
> >- I originally had Apache::Auth::Authen, ::Authz and ::Access, but Robin
> >Berjon told me he preferred to have the 4 as top-level namespaces. What do
> >people think?
>
>What's the difference between Apache::Auth and Apache::Authen ?  They
>both seem to have authentication handlers.

There are modules that do Authen+Authz,  and some that incorporate general
functions related to authentication and authorization. These go into
::Auth. The Authentication handlers go into Authen, as well as other
modules *only* related to _authentication_.

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 09:29  AM, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

> - I created the Apache::Util:: namespace. However, one person thought
> the Persistent:: namespace to be too specific, and would prefer to
> rename Apache::Util:: to something like ::Misc, ::Lib, ::Extensions or
> ::Addons, and add the Persistent:: modules there. What do you think?

I like Apache::Util, and don't have a problem with
Apache::Util::Persistent. Makes sense to me.

> - I originally had Apache::Auth::Authen, ::Authz and ::Access, but
> Robin Berjon told me he preferred to have the 4 as top-level
> namespaces. What do people think?

I agree with Robin.

Posted by Iain Truskett <ic...@eh.org>.
* Stas Bekman (stas@stason.org) [28 Aug 2002 12:54]:
> Nick Tonkin wrote:

[...]
> > I'm in favor of your approach. I have it like that in my stuff.
> > Auth::Auth, Auth::Authz, and Auth:: Access.

> But Authentication, Authorization and Access aren't all Auth. May be
> using Apache::AAA:: as in httpd-2.0/modules/aaa/ ?

I'd have to favour them being in a second-level namespace rather than a
top-level one. If they provide Apache related handlers, the Apache
handler modules should be in Apache:: (or ModPerl::, Apache2::
whatever; I'm going to have to look up the new naming convention there).

Generic authentication stuff should probably belong in the namespace of
the appropriate protocol. (e.g. Net::LDAP::Authenticate, used by
Apache::AAA::NetLDAP).

But Apache specific stuff should be in an Apache related namespace.

(of course, now you'll all say that the 'toplevel' thing mentioned
previously was relative to Apache::. Hrm.)

cheers,
--
Iain.

Re: Change in module naming conventions

Posted by John Siracusa <si...@mindspring.com>.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 10:54  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
> But Authentication, Authorization and Access aren't all Auth. May be
> using Apache::AAA:: as in httpd-2.0/modules/aaa/ ?

Please, no more too-clever TLAs.  Have we learned nothing from LWP? :)

-John

Re: Change in module naming conventions

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Nick Tonkin <ni...@rlnt.net>.