Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/27 23:00:47 UTC

NetBeans Logo on the Welcome Screen

Dear all,

I'm trying to iron out the Welcome Screen for FlatLAF, though for the
light theme it would be good to have a png with the NetBeans icon +
Apache NetBeans text. The text shall be dark er as I'd put it on an
almost white background.

It is right now a 215x40 png, an svg would be great as well.

Thank you!

Re: NetBeans Logo on the Welcome Screen

Posted by Christian Oyarzun <co...@oyarzun.net>.
It will be in the next release 11.3. It was added in the following PR
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1278

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Musembi <pa...@gmail.com>.
Mine too @Neil, I have duplicate dock icons

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 16:43, Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com> wrote:

>  See https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1246 .

That PR hit for 11.1 as far as I know.  Out of interest, do you know
what else landed between then and 11.2 related to splash that might be
causing the duplicate dock icon problem?  I'll try and look further
into this.

Thanks,

Neil

RE: NetBeans Logo on the Welcome Screen

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
Note: "Splash Screen (not to be confused with the Welcome Screen)"

Correct, the splash screen does not use SVG. It achieves HiDPI support by loading a double-sized PNG (exported from Illustrator) and scaling it down to the desired logical coordinates. The JRE-level "-splash" mechanism is currently not used, because it does not work well on either MacOS (shows just a grey box for most of the time) or Windows (does not work with HiDPI graphics, despite being supposed to). See https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1246 .

The welcome screen, on the other hand, could use SVG if needed. That one is just a regular TopComponent.

-- Eirik

Splash screen is loaded too early to benefit from the SVG support provided by modules. The module system gets initialized way later when the splash is already visible. Moreover the splash screen can also be displayed by JDK itself and I doubt there is any support for SVG in the JDK's AWT splash implementation.

Possibly you could have a PNG and SVG version and re-render the splash.png from SVG on first start when it gets copied into caches.

-jt

PS: There used to be a time when the installers executed headless copy of NetBeans behind the scene to generate caches. In such situation even the first start would have properly scaled splash.png...

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Eirik,

I'm going to try to fit that SVG in, however probably the Welcome screen
vs HDPI would need more love than I can provide.

Also the news source could use twitter to fetch some news.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.