Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org> on 2010/12/01 16:13:27 UTC

Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net

I have requested that jini.dev.java.net be moved and I've requested that my
individual projects be moved.  Any other projects own by others need to be dealt
with pronto.  All users should have received emails about needed action.

Gregg Wonderly

Re: Standard Deployment Container [was:] Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Yes, I had noticed the container, interesting.

Do you think it's possible to organise runtime ClassLoader's so Jini's
API, Java and the Service API are loaded with Java's application class
loader, while all  implementations are loaded into separate child class
loaders?  If we do this, we can keep, service implementations, client
code and proxy's in separate namespaces, forcing them to cooperate using
only Java, Jini's API and Service API.  Sort of like having separate
Classpath's for each, many are compiled separately so it makes sense if
they each bring their own lunch and don't step on each others
implementations and libraries etc.  Eg a proxy should bring with it any
additional libraries it needs and not rely on them being present at the
client.  Application libraries shouldn't be visible to the proxy.  Sort
of like Preferred Classes, but automatic without configuration.

Cheers,

Peter.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Greg Trasuk wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 02:39, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>
>> Yes, I had noticed the container, interesting.
>>
>> Do you think it's possible to organise runtime ClassLoader's so Jini's
>> API, Java and the Service API are loaded with Java's application class
>> loader, while all  implementations are loaded into separate child class
>> loaders?  If we do this, we can keep, service implementations, client
>> code and proxy's in separate namespaces, forcing them to cooperate using
>> only Java, Jini's API and Service API.  Sort of like having separate
>> Classpath's for each, many are compiled separately so it makes sense if
>> they each bring their own lunch and don't step on each others
>> implementations and libraries etc.
>>

> Goes without saying...Also that we don't put every single jar file in
> the codebase annotation.  Usually it's only the "-api" and "-dl" jar
> files, although there might be plain libraries as well.

If done properly, the api exists at the client, so we shouldn't need to
annotate it, I proposed a way of extending Service API in

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-341

This would allow additional classes not present at the client to be
loaded into the proxy's class loader.  Since the deployed client doesn't
have these classes, it only interacts using the Service API.

If there is a buggy implementation class in the original Service API
installed in the client, the extended service API can provide an
implementation class that extends and overrides the object method with
the bug, the client only see's the service API class, while it uses the
implementation class. Polymorphism.

>> Eg a proxy should bring with it any
>> additional libraries it needs and not rely on them being present at the
>> client.
>>

> That's automatically handled by the rmi classloader
> (PreferredClassLoader I believe) and the appropriate codebase
> annotations.
>

>> Application libraries shouldn't be visible to the proxy.  Sort
>> of like Preferred Classes, but automatic without configuration.
>>

> That's actually up to the application author; in many cases, there is a
> need to have a dependent library available locally (e.g. for
> business-domain object classes).  The PreferredClassLoader mechanism
> used by Jeri allows the proxy to require a remotely downloaded class
> where it's absolutely necessary.

Sounds like that library should be loaded with the same classloader as
the Service API.  Is it typical in this case that the Service API
contain a parameter or return class that is part of a business domain
library?

If Service API depends on anything other than Jini & Java, that also
needs to be included with the service API.

I'd like to provide a mechanism or encourage a practice to load
application (implementation) classes into a child class loader, with a
separate name space to proxy's  or other service implementations.

Tell me what you think?

http://labs.oracle.com/techrep/2006/smli_tr-2006-149.pdf

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Standard Deployment Container [was:] Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by MICHAEL MCGRADY <mm...@topiatechnology.com>.
There is a list of quality control criteria (QCC and commonly called the "Ilities") that is helpful to keep in mind when integrating into the networking mix.   Usability, not out of importance but out of alphabet, is last on the list.  ;-)

MG

	1a.	accessibility,
	1b.	accountability,
	1c.	adaptability,
	1d.	administrability
	1.	affordability,
	2.	agility,
	3.	availability,
	4.	composability,
	5.	configurability,
	5a.	customizability,
	5b.	degradeability,
	5c.	demonstrability,
	5d.	dependability,
	5e.	distributability,
	6.	durability,
	7.	embedability,
	8.	evolvability,
	9.	extensibility,
	10.	failover,
	10a.  flexibility,
	11.   	installability,
	12.	integrability,
	13.	interoperability,
	14.	maintainability,
	15.	manageability,
	15a.	mobility,
	16.	modifiability,
	17.	modularity,
	17a.	nomadicity,
	17b. 	openness,
	18.	performance,
	19.	platform independence,
	20.	portability,
	20a.	predictability,
	20b.	recoverability,
	21.	reliability,
	22.	retractability,
	23.	reusability,
	24.	robustness,
	25.	scalability,
	25a.	seamlessness,
	26.	security,
	27.	servicability (supportability),
	27a.	simplicity,
	27b.	stability,
	27c.	survivability,
	27d.	tailorability,
	28.	testability,
	29.	understandability, and
	30.	usability

On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> [...]
>
> The container will also host (with all the codebase crap handled!)
> instances of the River infrastructure services (Reggie, Mahalo,
> Outrigger, etc).  Plus it appears that enabling it for JMX monitoring
> and management will not be awfully difficult.
>
> The goal, much like Harvester, is one-shot deployment, with a
> programming model that will not seem alien to servlet or EJB
> programmers.
>
> So, stand by, the container is starting to come together.  Once it's in
> a form that can host Reggie and deploy a service or two, I'll let you
> know.  At that point, I suppose we'll want a catchy name...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg.
> --
> Greg Trasuk, President
> StratusCom Manufacturing Systems Inc. - We use information technology to
> solve business problems on your plant floor.

Michael McGrady
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc.
Cel 1.253.720.3365
Work 1.253.572.9712 extension 2037
mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com

Re: Standard Deployment Container [was:] Re: Jini Community Projects on Java.net WAS: Re: java.net

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.

Deployment Standards / Definitions

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
I've created an issue on Jira.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-379

Have you got any initial concepts, draft implementations, ideas etc?
Please post them on River-379

Cheers,

Peter.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
[...]

We don't have everyone's participation, if you know them, perhaps you
can pass it on?

Cheers,

Peter.

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
We are community, we need to be careful not to Borg, but to foster.

We can encourage important projects to become River sub projects.  This
will grow our community further.

Gregg and his projects are part of our community, why not contribute to
Gregg's project instead, as it appears we're trying to implement /
duplicate existing functionality.  I think you'll find other parts of

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>.
On 12/8/2010 4:11 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
> Hi Gregg,
>
> Is any of this stuff in a public repo?  You might have noticed that
> I've put a "River Success Stories" page on the site and it'd be great
> to be able to link to these projects - even the
> experimental/incomplete ones.

Each of the project names, currently can be used in the url
http://XXX.dev.java.net.  As java.net moves around, that might change, I don't
know what will happen with naming conventions.

> With regards to startnow, particularly ConfigurableJiniApplication and
> PersistentJiniService, would you be willing to donate these to the
> River code base?  This kind of thing is exactly what I wanted to put
> in the "extras" drirectory of River that was discussed a while back.

I don't have a personal preference.  One of my problems is that I have an awful
lot of code laying around that I find less and less free time to support.  I'd
like most for people to get out of my efforts what they are worth.  If they are
better used as ideas for something better, then great.  If they are useful as
is, then that's great too.

I have a lot of my personal time into these things, but I am not afraid to throw
that away if something better comes from it.  What I'd like to avoid is people
reinventing the same things over and over because visibility is the issue.

I'm on board with the issue of lowering the barrier to entry.  I've talked here,
before about putting together netbeans modules for aiding in Jini service and
client development.  I encountered a pretty large issue with "platform" view of
netbeans' own modularization techniques.  There is already a context class
loader active in netbeans, and so I need to make PreferredClassProvider us that
as the parent, not "null" or the classpath class loader.  This was the reason
for the CodebaseAccessClassLoader stuff.

With CodebaseAccessClassLoader in place, I have made progress.  But, there is
still some things to work though to get to what I'd really like to be able to do.

> Let me just say that I am more than very happy to direct people onto
> your implementations and towards your projects, as I hope the above
> request for the links to public repos and permission to link to them
> above shows.  However I still think that it's easier and more
> intuitive to new users if they get more stuff like this along with
> their original River download.  I hope that you don't think I'm trying
> to absorb all of your projects into River or divert any credit away
> from you onto this project, but just those two quick-start classes
> would be really useful for new developers using River - and a donation
> of existing code saves me the effort of re-implementing them myself!

What would help the most is some more rigorous definitions for how deployment
occurs.  The com.sun.jini.start interface is the only tangible deployment
signature for anything that might go into a container.

I've suggested on this list before that this is an issue I feel we need to
discuss.  I'd hope there is something which would could put together as an SPI
which containers could provide implementations of so that not only can services
be started, but they can interact with the container to control lifecycle and
Configuration needs.

Gregg

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Gregg,