Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/05/28 17:32:51 UTC

What to do with Github?

Hi folks,

So historically CloudStack (the project) had it's own github account,
in which their are 18 repos. One of which is a mirror of CloudStack
(the codebase), and the others which are either docs, or
configuration, or similiar things. A number of those will continue to
need a place to live (for instance knife-cloudstack, written by the
folks at Edmunds.com is not part of the donated codebase) - we also
have a plethora of docs, each in their own repo - which may or may not
make sense going forward.

My main concern however is that we seem to have more than 50% of our
patches coming from github - and while I am certain that folks can
send patches in other ways, that mirror is effectively mirroring a
non-functioning repo now - so the questions are:

1) What do we do with the account? Use it? Delete it?
2) What do we do with the CloudStack repo there? Mirror? somethingelse?
3) What should we do with all of the other projects hosted on that account?

--David

Re: What to do with Github?

Posted by Robert Schweikert <rj...@suse.com>.
On 05/28/2012 01:28 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> Hi...
>
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM, David Nalley<da...@gnsa.us>  wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> So historically CloudStack (the project) had it's own github account,
>> in which their are 18 repos. One of which is a mirror of CloudStack
>> (the codebase), and the others which are either docs, or
>> configuration, or similiar things. A number of those will continue to
>> need a place to live (for instance knife-cloudstack, written by the
>> folks at Edmunds.com is not part of the donated codebase) - we also
>> have a plethora of docs, each in their own repo - which may or may not
>> make sense going forward.
>>
>> My main concern however is that we seem to have more than 50% of our
>> patches coming from github - and while I am certain that folks can
>> send patches in other ways, that mirror is effectively mirroring a
>> non-functioning repo now - so the questions are:
>>
>> 1) What do we do with the account? Use it? Delete it?
>>

> I don't think deleting it will do anything useful, but at the same time we
> need to properly inform users visiting that account, that certain projects
> are not hosted on Apache, more specifically as you mentioned above

+1

>> 2) What do we do with the CloudStack repo there? Mirror? somethingelse?
>>

> I believe we should give a notice that CloudStack project's code is now
> moved to Apache Git repo. and developers still pointing to that repo. on
> Github should now point to the new one, and maybe mention that it is about
> to be deleted in a certain time window, and when deleted we just keep a
> welcome text which points to the move and how they can move to the new on
> on Apache

+1

>> 3) What should we do with all of the other projects hosted on that account?
>>

> I believe that is up to Citrix, as long as the code in these repos are not
> donated to Apache yet, again as long as the new move is reported properly
> there so developers are not confused and maybe point them to some mailing
> list to ask their questions related to that change

+1

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com