Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 05:23:52 UTC

Tapestry + SVG

guys,
has anyone tried using SVG with tapestry.

Re: Tapestry + SVG

Posted by Dennis Cieplik <dc...@gmx.net>.
> i am planning to provide perhaps images, but not static ones but
> dynamic ones which would change depending upon the screen size or some
> other trigger. it would be very good if SVG can be compatible with tap
> and even backward compatible with previous tap versions.

Dynamic images could be easily implemented, e.g. with a service, but I think svg based widgets would be really nice. There are some projects that provide basic ui widgets, but without any noticeable progress. Although they could be used as a base. A second step would be to integrate this in tapestry with communication etc to provide a rich client ui.

I think that svg has a great potential to provide a rich ui, but it really suffers browser support. Adobe seems to discontiued svg support and Mozilla lacks market share.

Dennis

Re: Tapestry + SVG

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I think some of the dojo engineers are working on a cross-browser API that
will make appropriate use of the right technology depending on which browser
your code is running on. (also believe one of the engineers involved had
something to do with the original adobe svg support, so we shouldn't need to
worry about that part ;) )

On 8/4/06, Mitchell O'Brien <mi...@gutzmann.com> wrote:

> On 04.08.2006, at 07:30, Peter Dawn wrote:
>
> > i am planning to provide perhaps images, but not static ones but
> > dynamic ones which would change depending upon the screen size or some
> > other trigger. it would be very good if SVG can be compatible with tap
> > and even backward compatible with previous tap versions.
>
> Perhaps you've already seen this but there is already a component
> which gives you the possibility to create dynamic images. Basically
> it gives you a Graphics2D object to draw on. I've used it with
> jCharts and it seems to work pretty good.
>
> Cheers,
> Mitch

Jesse Kuhnert
Tacos/Tapestry, team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.

Re: Tapestry + SVG

Posted by Mitchell O'Brien <mi...@gutzmann.com>.

Re: Tapestry + SVG

Re: Tapestry + SVG

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
No, but I have some "friends" who are doing a lot of work in this area right
now.

Were you planning on doing some markup only style work or something closer
to interactive canvas-y work?

There is an effort underway currently to provide a unified browser API to do
some of these things (sponsored by google SOC I think).. Once that gets
closer to completion I wanted to provide support for it (in some form) in
Tapestry. (maybe 4.2?, or as a seperate library?)

What sort of things were you planning on doing?