Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/27 07:38:15 UTC

Plans for Qpid Broker J v7.0

Hi all,

Qpid Broker J (the Java Broker) is stabilising ready for the next
release.   The major user facing changes in this release will be: much
improved AMQP 1.0 support, support for JMS 2.0 clients implementing
the AMQP 1.0 JMS bind mapping, and much improved message conversion to
benefit users with applications using AMQP 1.0 and the older AMQP
protocols.  We hope to be putting out an RC in a few weeks time.

This anyone has any additional needs, please discuss here.

cheers, Keith.

Re: Plans for Qpid Broker J v7.0

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
+users

Hi Adel

I'll be putting something more formal together closer to the release,
but for now a dump of my brain:

For applications using AMQP 0-8..0-10 clients, I would expect no
changes.   For applications using AMQP 1.0 and making use of the Qpid
JMS Client [1] the following would apply:

1) For application using JMS topic subscriptions, the queues backing
topic subscriptions and now named differently.  Messages would need to
be moved manually from the old subscription queues to the new ones to
avoid message loss across the upgrade.
2) Qpid JMS Client 0.24 is required for SCRAM-SHA based SASL
authentication to function.

For the REST API, there are a couple of potentially breaking changes:

1) The biggest change is the modelling of Bindings (the link between
Exchange to Queues).  If you use the REST API to programatically query
or create bindings, the code will need to be changed.
2) The REST API used to return a JSON list in response to a single
object GET request e.g. /api/version/queue/vhn/vh/myqueue.  It now
returns a single JSON object, as one might expect.   It is possible to
get back the old behaviour if desired with a flag.

I'm sure my colleagues will jump in if I have missed anything major.

[1] https://qpid.apache.org/components/jms/index.html