Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/22 16:05:12 UTC

Add Java EE schema files to Geronimo Server?

Hi Geronimo and OpenEJB devs,

I am fixing the servlet tck problems. And it requires to validate the
standard Deployment Descriptors xml files before deployment.
Now we use the org.apache.openejb.jee.JaxbJavaee to do the unmarshal, for
example, a web.xml to a WebApp object. So we need add the validation
procedure there. But before that, I think the first thing we should consider
is to place the schemas (i.e. xsd files from
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/) somewhere, so that we can create the
Schema object from them easily and quickly.
So, I am asking:
1. Where is the appropriate place to hold these xsd files? Openejb project?
2. Is there any legal problem we distribute Geronimo server with these xsd
files packaged in?
3. We also need a xsd file (http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd) form W3.org. It
is in public domain, isn't it?

Any thoughts?

--
Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org

Re: Add Java EE schema files to Geronimo Server?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 22, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Rex Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Geronimo and OpenEJB devs,
>>
>> I am fixing the servlet tck problems. And it requires to validate the standard Deployment Descriptors xml files before deployment.
>> Now we use the org.apache.openejb.jee.JaxbJavaee to do the unmarshal, for example, a web.xml to a WebApp object. So we need add the validation procedure there. But before that, I think the first thing we should consider is to place the schemas (i.e. xsd files from http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/) somewhere, so that we can create the Schema object from them easily and quickly.
>> So, I am asking:
>> 1. Where is the appropriate place to hold these xsd files? Openejb project?
>
> You are implying that the .xsd files are required in svn and could not be used from their current locations, e.g. http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/application_6.xsd or other non-svn locations... Which is probably true...

These files are needed at runtime to construct the Schema object used for validation.  So IMO they need to be in any binary distribution so validation works without an internet connection.  So I think including them in svn and source makes what's going on clear and is much simpler.

> If the Jaxb code is in OpenEJB, then OpenEJB would seem like the natural location. Where ever the JaxbJavaee code is, I think the schema's belong there, also...

that's openejb.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.