Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/10/16 01:34:52 UTC

Feature Requests for Ant?

Can anyone tell me how to make feature requests for Ant tasks?

I've been using the optional <ftp> task for the last couple of hours and I have two requests, one minor and one major. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything in the Ant Manual describing how to ask for new features in optional tasks. If someone can fill me in on the appropriate channels, I'd appreciate it.

In case anyone is wondering, the minor request is for the 'mkdir' action to produce some kind of output to acknowledge that it has created the new directory. Even with -verbose on, I get nothing in the build output that says a directory has been created. Just one line like this would be fine:
[ftp] creating directory foo

The major request is that they find some way to share the same connection amongst several subsequent <ftp> tasks. As it is, I have one task to delete all existing files beneath a given directory, another task to delete the (now empty) subdirectories beneath that same directory, five separate tasks to create five new subdirectories, and five tasks to populate each of those new subdirectories. Each of those tasks needs to connect and disconnect which adds substantially to the elapsed time for these tasks. If these tasks shared the same connection, it would save a lot of time.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare

Re: Feature Requests for Ant?

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
Thanks for the info, Dale!

I'll use Bugzilla to make my requests. Of course, my requests are pretty
obvious ones: it seems to me that someone must have made these same requests
in the past. The fact that they haven't been implemented suggests that they
are either very difficult or the developer(s) haven't got the time to do
them.

Still, it's worth a shot....

Rhino

Re: Feature Requests for Ant?