Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/06/11 01:36:30 UTC

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Problems with keep-alive" on HPUX

>> >If you are using a proxy-server which doesn't understand
>> >keep-alive so it passes it through from the browser you get
>> >large delays on loading pages.  I have this problem with X
>> >Mosaic 2.7b2 and Cern proxy server.
>> >
>> >I added a user_agent check to set_keepalive to fix this
>> >for our configuration.
>
> We'll check with our "HTTP Cop", but I thought the mechanism was
> old-proxy-safe... arg.  If it's not, this is probably an appropriate fix,
> though I would throw in a check for the version of the CERN proxy just to not
> eliminite the possibility of this being fixed.

The old CERN proxy adds something to the User-Agent, so it would
be an effective check for both.  We warned people that HTTP/1.0 clients
must not send keep-alive to a proxy, but I guess the NCSA folks didn't
hear that until too late.  I hope they fixed it in a later version.

BTW, the latest version of the CERN proxy (released by W3C last week)
removes any Connection stuff and doesn't change User-Agent.

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Problems with keep-alive" on HPUX

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> BTW, the latest version of the CERN proxy (released by W3C last week)
> removes any Connection stuff and doesn't change User-Agent.

Does it give any distinguishing marks?  I.e., the "Via:" header?

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/