Posted to general@portals.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2005/03/15 16:32:57 UTC

Re: SVN, Bridges and PMC membership questions

El lun, 07-02-2005 a las 17:47 +0100, Raphaël Luta escribió:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>
> > Can someone on the PMC shed a light on the plan to move to SVN?
> > This plan (http://wiki.apache.org/portals/JetspeedMigration) was
> > announced back in December and an test repository was created,
> > but nothing happened after that.
> >
> > Raphaël Luta said in another mail that the approved Portals Bridges
> > subproject could be created once that was done and I'd like to ask
> > if this is still the case. I'd really like to see this new subproject
> > be available soon.
> >
> Yep, it mostly is my fault not to follow up with moving the jetspeed
> repos to SVN.
> I thought I would have the time in January but real life caught up with
> me...
> Right now I would not commit to be able to push the move by myself but I
> can help
> someone willing to take the lead.

Don't take all the blame. I tried to get some help in January too, but
people in infrestructure were overwhelmed, and further the repos started
to fail intermittently. It seems, and I helped to debug this, that
people behind firewalls abuse the viewcvs script to checkout, and there
was a problem in the direct access to the subversion backend by the
script. Those people should instead use the HTTP interface to
subversion.

The intermittent failures led me to freeze my efforts, but the time is
coming to do the change, now that the problem seems to be tracked down
and mostly solved. It looks like it is well under way currently, as Noel
tested the conversion yesterday.

We should plan for a 24 hours pause in commits, when everything is
ready, so that the move can be completed painlessly.

> > While we are on the subject of PMC and insight in its plans, I requested
> > a membership several weeks ago but haven't heard anything since then.
> > If it hasn't been decided yet or if my request has been denied,
> > it would be nice to know why...
> >
> I've not seen any voting thread recently so I guess your request has
> been lost
> somewhere so far; You rmail should be enough to revive it.

The (unwritten) policy is that most committers doing work in the project
and that care about the project as a whole should be part of the PMC,
and if you ask for it, it is just a matter to start a vote and, once
you're voted in, wait for 72 hours after someone notifies the board and
gets and acknowledgement.

BTW, the deadline for ApacheCON Europe 2005 is ending (after being
delayed twice) in a few hours. there is still time for writing a
proposal (just a title and a couple of paragraphs) if any of you have
something interesting to say. :-)

Regards
--
Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
High Sierra Technology, SLU

Re: SVN, Bridges and PMC membership questions

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El mar, 15-03-2005 a las 16:32 +0100, Santiago Gala escribió:
> The (unwritten) policy is that most committers doing work in the
> projec
> and that care about the project as a whole should be part of the PMC,
> and if you ask for it, it is just a matter to start a vote and, once
> you're voted in, wait for 72 hours after someone notifies the board
> and
> gets and acknowledgement.

Forget about it. I mixed names and timings. I added you to the web site
a few days ago, but you have been formally part of the PMC for more than
one month, IIRC.

Regards