Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2002/05/01 19:54:42 UTC

[GUMP] how to point the finger?

Sam,

The GCC project uses a very interesting tool for helping point out who
entered a bug in the compiler after doing a change.

The tool works by keeping track of who modified the files since the
last build, and what were the changes in the number of regression
tests. If you modify a file lets say, that introduces a regression in
the automated tests, you will receive an email notification containing
information like what were the changes you've done, an what are the
regressions introduced because of them. The message is also posted on
a mailing list to keep others updated as well. Since many people can
update the code since the last build besides you, it is also possible
you receive a notification even though somebody else broke the
code. The approximation however is good enough in most cases.

Check out the gcc-regression mailing list to see how things work:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-regression/

Would it be possible to have a similar setup for GUMP? I know this
implies keeping track of information between builds, something that
GUMP doesn't do right now. But I think it will be very useful in
identifying what are the changes that break things, not only a
notification that things break.

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>