Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Seshachala, Sudhendra B" <su...@hp.com> on 2005/02/03 22:18:24 UTC

Question about appender

We have an windows GUI tool hosted in IIS.
The users basically use the JNLP to download the tool and use the tool.
We do log the meesages to a file.
Now, if I switch the file appender to console, then I don't see if the
console popping up or any console messages.
Are there any alternative appenders we need to use for this purpose..

During debugging, When I use eclipse to debug, I do see these messages
in Eclipse console window..

Pls. let me know.. Of any solution..
Thanks

Sudhendra (Sudhi) Seshachala
Office  : 281-514-0918
Cell    : 408-203-9960
Mail to: sudhendra.b.seshachala@hp.com

Re: Question about appender

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
I'm not sure if I understand the situation, but it might be a case
where you would want to use the OutputDebugStringAppender (which calls
the Win32 method of the same name).  The messages sent to this appender
will be viewed by any attached debugger.  DebugView
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml) is a free
(as in beer, not speech) utility for watching all calls to
OutputDebugString on a system and I believes supports remote
monitoring.