Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by SolrUser1543 <os...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/11 15:56:09 UTC

increase connections on tomcat

Client application which queries solr needs to increase a number of
simultaneously connections in order to improve performance ( in additional
to get solr results, it needs to get an internal resources like images. )
But this increment has improved client performance, but caused degradation
in solr  .

what I think is that I need to increase a number of connection in order to
allow to more requests run between solr shards.

How can I prove that I need?
How can I increase it on tomcat? ( on each shard )

Re: increase connections on tomcat

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/11/2015 10:53 AM, SolrUser1543 wrote:
> does it apply to solr 4.10 ? or only to  solr 5 ?

The information I provided is not version-specific.  It would apply to
either version you listed and at least some of the previous 4.x versions.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: increase connections on tomcat

Posted by SolrUser1543 <os...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SolrUser1543 <os...@gmail.com>.
I investigated my tomcat7 configuration.
I have founded that we  work in BIO mode.
I consider to switch to NIO mode.

 what are recommendation in this case?

Re: increase connections on tomcat

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/11/2015 8:56 AM, SolrUser1543 wrote:
> Client application which queries solr needs to increase a number of
> simultaneously connections in order to improve performance ( in additional
> to get solr results, it needs to get an internal resources like images. )
> But this increment has improved client performance, but caused degradation
> in solr  .
>
> what I think is that I need to increase a number of connection in order to
> allow to more requests run between solr shards.
>
> How can I prove that I need?
> How can I increase it on tomcat? ( on each shard )

Hopefully this isn't an XY problem.

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

To accomplish what you have requested, you will want to increase the
maxThreads parameter in the tomcat config.  It defaults to 200, we have
included a setting of 10000 in the example jetty server.  For most
installations, a value of 10000 means there is effectively no limit on
the number of threads allowed.  Solr will behave unpredictably if it is
prevented from starting threads, and it is very easy to exceed 200
threads, especially if the container is serving requests for other
things besides Solr.

To configure more connections to other machines for distributed search,
you need to configure the shard handler in your solrconfig.xml file.  In
particular you need to be worried about maxConnectionsPerHost and
maxConnections.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Distributed+Requests#DistributedRequests-ConfiguringtheShardHandlerFactory

Thanks,
Shawn