Posted to user@spark.apache.org by ArtemisDev <ar...@dtechspace.com> on 2020/06/29 14:19:46 UTC

File Not Found: /tmp/spark-events in Spark 3.0

While launching a spark job from Zeppelin against a standalone spark
cluster (Spark 3.0 with multiple workers without hadoop), we have
encountered a Spark interpreter exception caused by a I/O File Not Found
exception due to the non-existence of the /tmp/spark-events directory.
We had to create the /tmp/spark-events directory manually in order to
resolve the problem.

As a reference, the same notebook code run on Spark 2.4.6 (also a
standalone cluster) without any problems.

What is /tmp/spark-events for and is there anyway to pre-define this
directory as some config parameter so we don't end up manually add it in
/tmp?

Thanks!

-- ND

Re: File Not Found: /tmp/spark-events in Spark 3.0

Posted by Xin Jinhan <18...@163.com>.
Hi,

First, the '/tmp/spark-events' is the default storage location of spark
eventLog, but the log will be stored in it only when the
'spark.eventLog.enabled' is true, which your spark 2.4.6 may set to false.
So you can try to set false and the error may disappear.

Second, I suggest enable eventLog and you can set the storage location by
set  'spark.eventLog.dir' to a fileSystem or local path, in case you want to
check the log later.(can simplely use spark-history-server)

Regards,
Jinhan

Re: File Not Found: /tmp/spark-events in Spark 3.0

Posted by ArtemisDev <ar...@dtechspace.com>.
Thank you all for the responses.  I believe the user shouldn't be
worried about creating the log dir explicitly.  The event logging should
behave like other logs (e.g. master or slave) that the directory should
be automatically created if not exist.

-- ND

Posted by Zero <81...@qq.com>.

Posted by Jeff Evans <je...@gmail.com>.
This should only be needed if the spark.eventLog.enabled property was set
to true.  Is it possible the job configuration is different between your
two environments?