Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/19 10:41:40 UTC

Writing a specific Authenticator, and add some configuration for iy

Hi guys,

yesterday, we had an interesting convo with Antoine, about the
definition of a dedicated Authenticator, and how to configure it.

First, the Authenticator interface can be implemented but it's probably
a better idea to extend the AbstractAuthenticator, as it brings some
references to teh underlying DirectoryService for free, plus some
default implementations to init and dispose the Authenticator. One thing
to take care of is the PasswordPolicy which can be enabled or disabled.
We have to determinate the best way to deal with this service.

Another aspect is the Authenticator configuration : how to inject it and
have it available when the server is stopped and restarted? The solution
is probably to extend the existing configuration, which is based on the
DIT. That means defining a specific Bean, plus the associated OC and AT.
We have to think about it, and I would suggest we try to write a
prototype that demonstrates the way to extend the configuration. It has
to be documented, as the Authenticator is an extension point.

I'm pretty sure it's not such a big deal, but we need time, and we have
littel :) I would suggest we follow closely Antoine's effort and try to
leverage what he is doing to improve the server *and* the documentation...

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Writing a specific Authenticator, and add some configuration for iy

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> probably
> have

> >> PP also comes into picture while performing a bind and compare(of
> >> password) operations
> >> an e.x to determine the number of failed authentication attempts
> >> but all this makes sense only if the user entries are stored in the
> >> local server (ApacheDS in this case).
> >
> > Are we tracking login results (successes/failures) per user in their
> profile
> > (LDAP entry)?
> yes we do and these details are stored in the user entry itself
> > Are we tracking login attempts when the bind principal is non-existant
> and
> > if so where we doing that?
> we cannot, if we don't have the user entry locally on the server
> > We should also perhaps track the last IP where
> > the login occurred to prevent those trying to dictionary attack via some
> > account but this is not so much related to PP.
> >>
> yeah

We probably need to be logging all this stuff centrally as well as on a per
user basis. Per user basis for PP to correlate with the bind principal but
overall we need to be tracking what's going on when authentication is being
done in all it's forms especially now that we're opening  the door wider
with this delegation thing.

Opening door wider => More security concerns.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Re: Writing a specific Authenticator, and add some configuration for iy

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi Emmanuel, Antione,
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> yesterday, we had an interesting convo with Antoine, about the
> definition
> >> of a dedicated Authenticator, and how to configure it.
> >>

> > Excellent. Thanks for posting to the ML about it.
> >

> >> First, the Authenticator interface can be implemented but it's probably
> >> better idea to extend the AbstractAuthenticator, as it brings some
> >> references to teh underlying DirectoryService for free, plus some
> default
> >> implementations to init and dispose the Authenticator. One thing to take
> >> care of is the PasswordPolicy which can be enabled or disabled. We have
> >> determinate the best way to deal with this service.
> >>

> > PasswordPolicy AFAICT is something that kicks in when updating or
> creating a
> > new password. This mechanism of delegating authentication to some
> external
> > authentication service in this case AD does not change the password.
> Hence
> > why I'm thinking we don't need to worry about PP.
> > Or am I missing something here?
> >
> PP also comes into picture while performing a bind and compare(of
> password) operations
> an e.x to determine the number of failed authentication attempts
> but all this makes sense only if the user entries are stored in the
> local server (ApacheDS in this case).

Are we tracking login results (successes/failures) per user in their profile
(LDAP entry)?

Are we tracking login attempts when the bind principal is non-existant and
if so where we doing that? We should also perhaps track the last IP where

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Emmanuel, Antione,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

>  Hello Alex,
>
> nothing hangs
>
> [INFO]
> [INFO]
> [INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Total time: 18 minutes 41 seconds
> [INFO] Finished at: Mon Dec 06 14:17:26 EST 2010
> [INFO] Final Memory: 122M/370M
> [INFO]

Woooooh ~19 minutes.

> All tests pass.
>
> Maybe it is something specific to linux which makes
> org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.SingleFileLdifPartitionTest hang.
>
> On my PC this test runs in 55 seconds.

OK that's good news - glad it's my problem here. Will run again on Linux and
Mac being a little more patient this time. Let me get back to you after
doing that and reviewing the code some more.

Thanks again,

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Alex,

nothing hangs

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESSFUL
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 18 minutes 41 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Dec 06 14:17:26 EST 2010
[INFO] Final Memory: 122M/370M
[INFO]

All tests pass.

Maybe it is something specific to linux which makes
org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.SingleFileLdifPartitionTest hang.

On my PC this test runs in 55 seconds.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Thanks Antoine.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Alex,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Antoine,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

>  At this stage I would like to merge the branch antoine back to trunk.

OK I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow.

> In the branch I created a DelegatingAuthenticator class and made changes so
> that all the authenticators can be configured in the DIT.

Cool!

> Because of this as seelmann noticed I created some new OIDs.

Right figured you'd have to do that.

> I also created a test suite for the DelegatingAuthenticator and did a small
> change to the framework test runner to be able to have a method level LDAP
> server.

Hmmm I guess this means you start an LDAP server for a specific test method
instead of for the test case class?

> Let me know if this is good enough ? Because of the new OIDs and other
> artefacts which can change fast on the trunk I am eager to get this in soon.

I'll review tomorrow and get in touch with you on IRC.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 12/2/10 3:31 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> At this stage I would like to merge the branch antoine back to trunk.

Great ! Let us review this a couple of days, and we will come back to you.

Don't be scared, we are currently working in a branch, so trunk is
n-unlikely to change in the mean time.

great job !

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On 11/23/10 3:33 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de
> <ma...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/23/10 2:31 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>     On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert
>>     <antoine@gmx.de <ma...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 11/19/10 10:41 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>>

>>>         Antoine is an Apache Member from what I know so granting him
>>>         access to work in SVN is not a problem. He can work in his
>>>         own branch if he likes. I don't even think we have to
>>>         conduct a vote. Apache Members own all the code anyway.
>>>
>>>         If no one has any objects we can just add him to the
>>>         asf-authorization file. No need for getting some bitbucket
>>>         account.
>>>

>>         Hello Alex,
>>
>>         yes, I would like to be added to the asf-authorization. I
>>         would like to start checking in my LDIF for the new attribute
>>         types and object class for the delegating authentication,
>>         plus the bean and the implementation. I am still developing
>>         but I see that it is pretty dynamic here :-).
>>

>>     I'm going to create a branch for you to work on
>>     called antoine and update you with the URL but until then just
>>     let me know what your Apache user handle is.
>     my Apache user is "antoine"
>

> OK I added you and created a branch for you to work in here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/branches/antoine-with-dependencies/
>
> Give it a try.
>
> Regards,
> Alex
Thanks,

Antoine

Re: Writing a specific Authenticator, and add some configuration for iy

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
On 11/23/10 2:31 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de
> <ma...@gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/19/10 10:41 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>

>>     Antoine is an Apache Member from what I know so granting him
>>     access to work in SVN is not a problem. He can work in his own
>>     branch if he likes. I don't even think we have to conduct a vote.
>>     Apache Members own all the code anyway.
>>
>>     If no one has any objects we can just add him to the
>>     asf-authorization file. No need for getting some bitbucket account.
>>

>     Hello Alex,
>
>     yes, I would like to be added to the asf-authorization. I would
>     like to start checking in my LDIF for the new attribute types and
>     object class for the delegating authentication, plus the bean and
>     the implementation. I am still developing but I see that it is
>     pretty dynamic here :-).
>

> I'm going to create a branch for you to work on called antoine and
> update you with the URL but until then just let me know what your
> Apache user handle is.
my Apache user is "antoine"

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
  On 11/19/2010 4:41 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> yesterday, we had an interesting convo with Antoine, about the
> definition of a dedicated Authenticator, and how to configure it.
>
> First, the Authenticator interface can be implemented but it's
> probably a better idea to extend the AbstractAuthenticator, as it
> brings some references to teh underlying DirectoryService for free,
> plus some default implementations to init and dispose the
> Authenticator. One thing to take care of is the PasswordPolicy which
> can be enabled or disabled. We have to determinate the best way to
> deal with this service.
Thanks, will extend AbstractAuthenticator then.

> Another aspect is the Authenticator configuration : how to inject it
> and have it available when the server is stopped and restarted? The
> solution is probably to extend the existing configuration, which is
> based on the DIT. That means defining a specific Bean, plus the
> associated OC and AT. We have to think about it, and I would suggest
> we try to write a prototype that demonstrates the way to extend the
> configuration. It has to be documented, as the Authenticator is an
> extension point.
I need to configure at least the host and the port to which the
delegation happens. The class name of the new authenticator will be
org.apache.directory.server.core.authn.DelegatingAuthenticator.My DN
where I work is CN=Antoine Lambert, OU=132, OU=Users, OU=NYCSite,
DC=nyc,DC=com.
Maybe the DelegatingAuthenticator could work optionally with DN patterns.

> I'm pretty sure it's not such a big deal, but we need time, and we
> have littel :) I would suggest we follow closely Antoine's effort and
> try to leverage what he is doing to improve the server *and* the
> documentation...
>
> Thanks !

Thanks too,

Antoine