Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jake Goulding <go...@vivisimo.com> on 2008/10/02 17:15:00 UTC

[axis2] Automatic schema validation

Hey all:

Is there any way to have Axis automatically check the incoming (and
potentially the outgoing) XML against the schema(s) originally provided
in the WSDL? I did a search online, but didn't see anything that seems
too likely.

Thanks!

-Jake

Re: [LIKELY JUNK]Re: [axis2] Automatic schema validation

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jennifer

Actually in the doc/lit case it would be pretty easy to validate
against the WSDL, but in general its a bit harder. Synapse already
does validation if you are willing to specify the XSD. It would be
fairly simple to extend that to validate using the WSDL - as long as
its doc/lit.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

RE: [LIKELY JUNK]Re: [axis2] Automatic schema validation

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Li, Zhenge" <zh...@cgi.com>.
The Axis2 soap monitor module is a perfect example on how to write a
handler. Just download the code from

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/modules/index.html

and you'll be able make the monitor work within half an hour. Then the
monitor module can be easily customized for schema validation, I
believe.

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_4/soapmonitor-module.html

-richard

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
It'd be great to have a validation option as part of the standard Axis2
distribution, and working from the WSDL would probably be the most
convenient approach from the user standpoint. I haven't looked into the
Synapse validator code - do you think that would be a better basis for
this than what I've got? If you think mine is good I can set it up as a
maven module and commit it to the Axis2 source code, then we can look
into adding the WSDL support.

  - Dennis

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Cool. Nice handler Dennis.

Both the Synapse schema validator and Dennis's MAR both suffer from
being a little too simple - you need to specify the schema. I think it
would be great to have them both work from the WSDL. Maybe we could
join forces to create a single piece of code that takes a message+wsdl
and validates and then it can be a separate MAR and a Synapse
mediator.

Thoughts?

Paul

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> Hi Jake,
>
> I wrote a handler for schema validation some time ago, as an example for my
> training classes. Here's the information on it:
> http://www.sosnoski.com/jibx-wiki/space/axis2-jibx/validation
>
>  - Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> SOA and Web Services in Java
> Axis2 Training and Consulting
> http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117
>

> Jake Goulding wrote:
>>
>> Paul:
>>
>> Thanks for the information. However, I think your example went over my
>> head a bit.
>>
>> I have a WSDL that has 4 or so XSD schemas. I point wsdl2java at that
>> WSDL, then write an extremely simple driver program that calls the Axis2
>> stubs.
>>
>> Is there a way to basically point Synapse at the same WSDL and then add a
>> few lines of code to my driver program that will instruct Axis to use
>> Synapse to validate the incoming message?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Jake
>>
>> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>>>
>>> Jake
>>>
>>> Synapse (http://synapse.apache.org) can be used to add Schema
>>> Validation to Axis2 - either in the handler chain or as a standalone
>>> gateway/security process.
>>>
>>> See http://synapse.apache.org/Synapse_Samples.html#Sample7
>>>
>>> Paul

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [axis2] Automatic schema validation

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Jake,

Posted by Jake Goulding <go...@vivisimo.com>.
Paul:

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Jake

Synapse (http://synapse.apache.org) can be used to add Schema
Validation to Axis2 - either in the handler chain or as a standalone
gateway/security process.

See http://synapse.apache.org/Synapse_Samples.html#Sample7

Paul

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:

>> Deepal:
>>
>> Thanks for the quick answer (most of my other email to list seems to
>> get ignored ;-)).
> I am sorry for that , if I see any mail that I can answer I will do my
> best,.
>>
>> I'm sure that schema validation would slow down the system,
>> potentially a lot, but this would be invaluable for people operating
>> with systems outside of their control. There is also a great quote
>> that I cannot seem to find now, but it goes along the lines of "how
>> important is it to get the wrong answer quickly?"
>>
>> Do you have any pointers to help me write the handler that you
>> suggest? For further reference, I am writing a client based on JAXB,
>> using Axis2 1.4.1.
>
> http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/3529321
> http://www.packtpub.com/article/handler-and-phase-in-apache-axis
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Jake
>>

>> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>>> Answers is no , because it slow down the system. However you can
>>> implement that your own. Just need to write a handler :)
>>>
>>> -Deepal

> Thank you!
>

> http://blogs.deepal.org

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [axis2] Automatic schema validation

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> Deepal:
>
> Thanks for the quick answer (most of my other email to list seems to
> get ignored ;-)).
I am sorry for that , if I see any mail that I can answer I will do my
best,.

> I'm sure that schema validation would slow down the system,
> potentially a lot, but this would be invaluable for people operating
> with systems outside of their control. There is also a great quote
> that I cannot seem to find now, but it goes along the lines of "how
> important is it to get the wrong answer quickly?"
>
> Do you have any pointers to help me write the handler that you
> suggest? For further reference, I am writing a client based on JAXB,
> using Axis2 1.4.1.

http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/3529321
http://www.packtpub.com/article/handler-and-phase-in-apache-axis

Thank you!
Deepal

> Thanks!
>
> -Jake
>

> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>> Answers is no , because it slow down the system. However you can
>> implement that your own. Just need to write a handler :)
>>
>> -Deepal
>>> Hey all:
>>>
>>> Is there any way to have Axis automatically check the incoming (and
>>> potentially the outgoing) XML against the schema(s) originally
>>> provided in the WSDL? I did a search online, but didn't see anything
>>> that seems too likely.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Jake

Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

RE: [axis2] Automatic schema validation

Posted by "Chen, Jennifer" <je...@sap.com>.
Hi Deepal,

I have the same question for both provisioning and consuming services,
and we are using ADB.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Posted by Jake Goulding <go...@vivisimo.com>.
Deepal:

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Answers is no , because it slow down the system. However you can
implement that your own. Just need to write a handler :)

-Deepal
> Hey all:
>
> Is there any way to have Axis automatically check the incoming (and
> potentially the outgoing) XML against the schema(s) originally
> provided in the WSDL? I did a search online, but didn't see anything
> that seems too likely.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jake

Thank you!