Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com> on 2012/03/06 18:32:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Unable to get to any sites after an install

Fresh install of 2.2.12 on SLES11 SP2 (fresh install also. I was having problems with yast munging apache vhosts and ssl.conf so i decided to reinstall SLES11 too). The only thing that has been done to apache: perl, php5 and rewrite mods loaded (NOT using yast but manually in loadmodule and apache2 files). I copy the sites from a backup (NAS) and the corresponding vhost files and restart apache. I use safari to get to the sites and receive can not connect to the server. Nothing in the error logs except the restart. The vhost files all point to the correct root location. Its like apache is not even listening for connections. A netstat shows:
tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      8475/httpd2-prefork

Firefox shows a unable to connect. What am i missing?

Re: [users@httpd] Unable to get to any sites after an install

Posted by Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Chris Arnold
<ca...@electrichendrix.com> wrote:
> Fresh install of 2.2.12 on SLES11 SP2 (fresh install also.
> I was having problems with yast munging apache vhosts and
> ssl.conf so i decided to reinstall SLES11 too). The only thing
> that has been done to apache: perl, php5 and rewrite mods
> loaded (NOT using yast but manually in loadmodule and apache2 files).
> I copy the sites from a backup (NAS) and the corresponding vhost files
> and restart apache. I use safari to get to the sites and receive can not
> connect to the server. Nothing in the error logs except the restart.
> The vhost files all point to the correct root location. Its like apache is
> not even listening for connections. A netstat shows:
> tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      8475/httpd2-prefork
>
> Firefox shows a unable to connect. What am i missing?
>

>>Apart from newlines in your email? :)
:)

>>Have you checked from localhost,
Yes, same thing

>>using links/lynx?
Not sure what this is

>>Have you ruled out firewalls?
Trying to access any site on the local LAN not from outside (and all this worked before). The software firewall is off.

Re: [users@httpd] Unable to get to any sites after an install

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Chris Arnold
<ca...@electrichendrix.com> wrote:
> Fresh install of 2.2.12 on SLES11 SP2 (fresh install also.
> I was having problems with yast munging apache vhosts and
> ssl.conf so i decided to reinstall SLES11 too). The only thing
> that has been done to apache: perl, php5 and rewrite mods
> loaded (NOT using yast but manually in loadmodule and apache2 files).
> I copy the sites from a backup (NAS) and the corresponding vhost files
> and restart apache. I use safari to get to the sites and receive can not
> connect to the server. Nothing in the error logs except the restart.
> The vhost files all point to the correct root location. Its like apache is
> not even listening for connections. A netstat shows:
> tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      8475/httpd2-prefork
>
> Firefox shows a unable to connect. What am i missing?

Apart from newlines in your email? :)

Have you checked from localhost, using links/lynx?
Have you ruled out firewalls?

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] [SOLVED]Unable to get to any sites after an install

Posted by Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Chris Arnold < carnold@electrichendrix.com > wrote:

>>Fresh install of 2.2.12 on SLES11 SP2 (fresh install also. I was having problems with yast munging apache vhosts and ssl.conf so i >>decided to reinstall SLES11 too). The only thing that has been done to apache: perl, php5 and rewrite mods loaded (NOT using yast >>but manually in loadmodule and apache2 files). I copy the sites from a backup (NAS) and the corresponding vhost files and restart >>apache. I use safari to get to the sites and receive can not connect to the server. Nothing in the error logs except the restart. >>The vhost files all point to the correct root location. Its like apache is not even listening for connections. A netstat shows:
>>tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      8475/httpd2-prefork

>>Firefox shows a unable to connect. What am i missing?

>That is listening on IPv6, not IPv4.
>Check your listen.conf file.
Wow! I disabled IPv6 during the install.....
Anyway, i did find out that the network service was somehow defunct. I restarted the network service and now i can connect to all the sites (now i will move on to the proxy setup).

Re: [users@httpd] Unable to get to any sites after an install

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Chris Arnold
<ca...@electrichendrix.com>wrote:

> Fresh install of 2.2.12 on SLES11 SP2 (fresh install also. I was having
> problems with yast munging apache vhosts and ssl.conf so i decided to
> reinstall SLES11 too). The only thing that has been done to apache: perl,
> php5 and rewrite mods loaded (NOT using yast but manually in loadmodule and
> apache2 files). I copy the sites from a backup (NAS) and the corresponding
> vhost files and restart apache. I use safari to get to the sites and
> receive can not connect to the server. Nothing in the error logs except the
> restart. The vhost files all point to the correct root location. Its like
> apache is not even listening for connections. A netstat shows:
> tcp        0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN
>      8475/httpd2-prefork
>
> Firefox shows a unable to connect. What am i missing?

That is listening on IPv6, not IPv4.
Check your listen.conf file.

- Y