Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2008/06/16 16:59:09 UTC

Re: Your software on cover mount DVD in c't 24/08

> Please note:  This is NOT an official statement by the SA team. This is
> a personal comment by a long-time reader of c't magazine, sad to see
> lack of understanding and quality dropping yet again.

for what it's worth, I _am_ in a position to make official statements;)

> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 17:12 +0200, Stephan Ehrmann, c't wrote:
> > (Bitte nach unten scrollen, um die deutsche Version dieser Mail zu lesen.)
>
> Feel free to contact me off-list, if you need a German translation.
>
> > Dear Software publisher,
> >
> > this year is the 25th anniversary of c't magazine. We celebrate this
> > jubilee throughout the year with various activities like a programming
> > competition. Our anniversary issue on Monday, the 10th of November, will
> > come with a very special edition of our c't software collection. For the
> > first time, this covermount DVD comprises only full or special versions,
> > no freeware.
>
> Open Source and Free Software are "full versions" by nature. Alas, they
> qualify for the fuzzy and broad term "freeware" also. So you just
> stated, that you're not going to include Open Source on that DVD? And by
> conclusion you're not going to include this project either?

I would appreciate clarification on this point, also.  SpamAssassin is
an open source project as Karsten notes, and as such qualifies as
"freeware" -- and additionally does not require registration in any way.

Since SpamAssassin already appears in Heise's directory:
http://www.heise.de/software/download/spamassassin/15370 and I think in
c't covermounts in the past, I presume this omission unintentional...

> > We would like to conclude this mail with one request: Please keep the
> > contents of this mail confidential.
>
> Congrats, dude, you blew it. You just posted this to a publicly
> accessible and archived mailing list. Confidential, eh?

Unfortunately, that is a good point ;)  private@SpamAssassin.apache.org
is the correct address for confidential contact.

--j.