Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthew Robinson <ma...@robinsons-qld.id.au> on 2023/08/30 22:58:01 UTC

Upgrading Embedded Tomcat 7.x to 10.x

Please may I have some assistance to upgrade a JAVA Maven project which uses embedded Tomcat 7 to use embedded Tomcat 10?
I’m having extreme difficulty determining the appropriate versions of the various components such that they play nice together.
I am also planning to upgrade from JAVA 7 to JAVA 9. I’t a general modernisation operation.

It is set up as a Maven project and uses Apache CXF and Spring to provide a RESTful API, a SOAP Client and minimal Web Server functionality.
All Tomcat configuration is by direct JAVA code - no configuration files - to ensure it runs standalone and cannot be interfered with by the user.
There are no database or JNDI requirements in Tomcat, but the product uses a SOAP API for data retrieval.

The Versions currently used are:
<org.springframework.version>3.1.1.RELEASE</org.springframework.version>
<org.springframework.security.version>3.1.7.RELEASE</org.springframework.security.version>
<org.apache.tomcat.version>7.0.70</org.apache.tomcat.version>
<org.apache.cxf.version>2.7.14</org.apache.cxf.version>
<org.apache.commons.version>3.0</org.apache.commons.version>
<org.codehaus.jackson.version>1.9.11</org.codehaus.jackson.version>
<net.htmlparser.jericho>3.4</net.htmlparser.jericho>
<javax.inject.version>1</javax.inject.version>
<com.cedarsoftware.version>1.8.0</com.cedarsoftware.version>
<cglib.version>2.2</cglib.version>
<com.fasterxml.uuid>3.1.4</com.fasterxml.uuid>
<ch.qos.logback.version>1.0.13</ch.qos.logback.version>
<jre.version>1.7</jre.version>

Has anyone executed a similar upgrade and can help me find the appropriate mash-up of componentry and versions?

Thanks!

Re: Upgrading Embedded Tomcat 7.x to 10.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 30/08/2023 23:58, Matthew Robinson wrote:
> Please may I have some assistance to upgrade a JAVA Maven project which uses embedded Tomcat 7 to use embedded Tomcat 10?
> I’m having extreme difficulty determining the appropriate versions of the various components such that they play nice together.
> I am also planning to upgrade from JAVA 7 to JAVA 9. I’t a general modernisation operation.

Tomcat 10.1.x requires Java 11 as a minimum.

> It is set up as a Maven project and uses Apache CXF and Spring to provide a RESTful API, a SOAP Client and minimal Web Server functionality.
> All Tomcat configuration is by direct JAVA code - no configuration files - to ensure it runs standalone and cannot be interfered with by the user.
> There are no database or JNDI requirements in Tomcat, but the product uses a SOAP API for data retrieval.
>
> The Versions currently used are:
> <org.springframework.version>3.1.1.RELEASE</org.springframework.version>
> <org.springframework.security.version>3.1.7.RELEASE</org.springframework.security.version>
> <org.apache.tomcat.version>7.0.70</org.apache.tomcat.version>
> <org.apache.cxf.version>2.7.14</org.apache.cxf.version>
> <org.apache.commons.version>3.0</org.apache.commons.version>
> <org.codehaus.jackson.version>1.9.11</org.codehaus.jackson.version>
> <net.htmlparser.jericho>3.4</net.htmlparser.jericho>
> <javax.inject.version>1</javax.inject.version>
> <com.cedarsoftware.version>1.8.0</com.cedarsoftware.version>
> <cglib.version>2.2</cglib.version>
> <com.fasterxml.uuid>3.1.4</com.fasterxml.uuid>
> <ch.qos.logback.version>1.0.13</ch.qos.logback.version>
> <jre.version>1.7</jre.version>
>
> Has anyone executed a similar upgrade and can help me find the appropriate mash-up of componentry and versions?

You'll need to check for each of the libraries above if it depends on
Java EE. If yes, you'll need an updated version that depends on Jakarta
EE. If no such update is available, the Tomcat migration tool for
Jakarta EE may help.

Mark