Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2009/01/04 21:56:22 UTC

IntelliJ project files

Can we remove these?

Regards,
Alan

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Joshua Partogi <jo...@gmail.com>.
Actually if we use maven, we can be loosely coupled from a specific
IDE as maven projects can be imported from both eclipse and intellij.

--
Not by might nor by power, but by His Spirit.

Read my blog: http://joshuajava.wordpress.com/
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/jpartogi

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Should we then remove the Eclipse project files too - in case people
> don't use Eclipse?

Absolutely. And also add their name to svn:ignore.

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:33:20 +0100, "Emmanuel Lecharny"
> <el...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I know that can be done.   The files are customized for the way
>>> that a few people work and do not work out of the box.
>>>
>> if you put it into svn:ignore, then it should be removed from SVN, Alan
>> is right.
>>
>> In any case, specific IDE file should not be found in SVN, as all the
>> project members don't use IntelliJ IDE.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> cordialement, regards,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny
>> www.iktek.com
>> directory.apache.org

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Just some random thoughts.

If the IDE project files are the same for most or all developers,
there's no reason not to include them in svn to ease a new developer
into the system. But this assumes that the project files are
relatively static.

But if project files are different for different styles of
development, they shouldn't be automatically included in svn.

An alternative might be to include the files under a different name
with instructions on how a developer can choose to activate them. Or
put the content of the files into the wiki or web page.

Craig

On Jan 5, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2009, at 3:38 AM, Jeremy Haile wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to work on improving the project files so that they work
>> out of the box.  Could you be more specific as to what problems
>> you've
>> encountered?
>
> Not all the dependencies are set and so IntelliJ doesn't find them.
> But I think that we're getting sidetracked from the real issue and
> that is IntelliJ project setup is a very personal thing.
>
>> Having the project files in SVN is very convenient since changes to
>> the
>> project are automatically updated for everyone.  There are multiple
>> committers who use IntelliJ and find these files convenient.
>
> Convenient if everyone sets up their dev environment the same way,
> which we don't.  Things like code style sheets can easily be set up
> and made available in the developer's notes on our site.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>

>> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 21:40:43 -0800, "Alan D. Cabrera"
>> <li...@toolazydogs.com> said:
>>> Yeah, I know that can be done.   The files are customized for the
>>> way
>>> that a few people work and do not work out of the box.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
On Jan 5, 2009, at 7:20 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> It's way better to let the build tool generate those files. It keeps
> the project consistent, as you don't commit anything relevant to
> your own env.

Actually, IDEA uses a project and module file (.ipr and .iml) to store
"shared" project settings and maintains environment-specific settings
in a workspace file (.iws).

The shared project settings can contain things like standard file
templates used by the project, static analysis settings, code style
settings, etc. which can help ensure code consistency and best
practices.  Are there other ways to handle this? Maybe.  However, the
project files have been in use for a long time with no problems and
I'm reluctant to simply remove them.

If a developer really wants to setup their environment in a specific
way, they can easily create a custom IDEA project with their own
settings.  The current IDEA files have been and are still working
great for many of the active committers to JSecurity - if there are
any problems or errors in these files, please let us know so we can
work to resolve any issues.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.
If one of the primary aims are to gain more committers, then making it
comfortable for those that are already committed should be an ancilary
worry.  Keeping the source tree as neutral as possible (regarding certain
preferences like the IDE or it's project settings) presents the least
resistance to the majority of perspective committers you'll encounter.  You
can probably prove this mathematically via theorem.  By reducing the average
energy the majority will need to expend to grok this stuff and finally get
to a point to contribute, the more new committers you will gain overall. The
more preferential content you inject into your code, into your system of
organization, the more energy it takes someone to get to understand it. Give
em a break, and make it dirt simple without any bias.  Alan is probably
affraid some setting in the IntelliJ files will cause an issue on his
machine, his OS, or his particular configuration.  Shit breaks all the time
man :-).  It breaks more for newbies. This stuff get's complex real quick
when something goes wrong and when people are trying to do things fast a
small bump can derail them.

BTW I don't see disregarding advice as disrespect at all.  Please don't ever
feel that you have to follow my advice.  The respect is not the primary
objective of this process; it's just a great by product that flows both
ways.  I'm here because I'm interested in what you guys are doing and wanted
to be a part of it in some capacity.  Hopefully, I can find more time
rubbing elbows while tackling significant problems with y'all.  Right now I
thought the best I can do is grease your path to success by avoiding
pitfalls, but even that I do poorly.

Alex

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.
I'm just a user of JSecurity but I've used the IntelliJ files to look at
the JSecurity source. The presence of the files in SVN is useful to me.

Brad

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.
This is not a big issue but if you don't see the kinds of collisions IDE
specific files in SVN cause in collaborative environments, then experience
will eventually show you over time. I won't enumerate over how many people
told me the same or how many painful experiences taught us this lesson.  All
in all, it's no big deal and these things will sort themselves out.  If you
feel you need to keep the files then go ahead.

More importantly though, these kinds of threads are distracting.  This is a
[...]

Let's together refuse to tolerate discord and gain as much as we can.  All I

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Oops - yeah, I forgot about that.  Very useful stuff indeed.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@anjinllc.com>.
I don't view this as problematic at all.  It's not a 'burden' to check in
changes to this file since the IDE automatically adds them to the commit
list if they have changed.

The IDEA project files represent project-wide settings, and should be shared
among everyone who uses IDEA.  The IDEA .iws (workspace file) represents
what files you are currently viewing, IDE-instance-specific things and
should NOT be checked into an SVN.  That is why the IntelliJ team separated
this stuff into different files - to explicitly allow team-wide sharing of
the exact same project configuration, but let workspace-specific things be
private.

Similarly, I have no problem having project-wide Eclipse files being in the
project either.   Now if it is a burden for people to manually check those
files in after a change (unlike IDEA), then feel free to remove them if you
don't want to maintain it.  But I don't think it is something you must
impose on everyone.

Granted, if our build auto-generated them, then I wouldn't care.  But
currently it doesn't, so I do :)

Cheers,

Les

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> I'd be happy to work on improving the project files so that they work
> out of the box.  Could you be more specific as to what problems you've
> encountered?
>
> Having the project files in SVN is very convenient since changes to the
> project are automatically updated for everyone.  There are multiple
> committers who use IntelliJ and find these files convenient.

It's way better to let the build tool generate those files. It keeps the
project consistent, as you don't commit anything relevant to your own env.

My own experience was that, at first, I thought too that it would be a
good idea to keep those files into svn (for the very same reasons you
gave), but after a few months, it proved to be a real burden, as you had
to commit it every time you did a modification, or more problematic, you
are tied with a set of configuration that does not fit your need. Then I

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Joshua Partogi <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@anjinllc.com>.
Interesting - I didn't see this email.

How do you organize them? I'm genuinely curious - maybe there is something I
can do that is better in my own environment.

Cheers,

Les

Re: IntelliJ project files

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.