Posted to wsrp4j-user@portals.apache.org by Masumi Ito <ma...@mb.infosnow.ne.jp> on 2004/01/16 01:28:00 UTC

Confirmation about portlet application and portlet

Hi, All.
There are several points I want to confirm about portlet
application and portlet.

1. Can we include a number of portlets in one portlet
application?
If possible, these portlets can share same session with cookie
initialized per group(portlet application). And then it
seems that deployment working of portlet is carried out not per
portlet but per portlet application, so by just once installing
a portlet application in Tomcat, WSRP Producer can
expose multi-portlets included in it as WSRP portlets.
(In this case, these can be different kinds of portlets.)

2. If 1. is possible, all of these portlets' meta infomation
need to be written anywhere.  Portlet.xml corresponds to this
in JSR168 Spec.
Well, should we prepare portlet.xml files as many as the
number of portlets included in the portlet application?
Or prepare a portlet.xml file and write many meta-info about
them in it?

3. If both 1. and 2. are OK, can a portlet call for other
portlets included in the same portlet application with same
session shared?
If so, we can make portlet application utilizing coordination
between portlets.

Thanks.

Masumi

Re: Confirmation about portlet application and portlet

Posted by Richard Jacob <ja...@apache.org>.
Masumi Ito wrote:

>1. Can we include a number of portlets in one portlet
>application?

yes you can, this is the way jsr168 describes it.
A portlet application can consist of multiple portlets.

>If possible, these portlets can share same session with cookie
>initialized per group(portlet application).

correct.

> And then it
>seems that deployment working of portlet is carried out not per
>portlet but per portlet application, so by just once installing
>a portlet application in Tomcat, WSRP Producer can
>expose multi-portlets included in it as WSRP portlets.
>(In this case, these can be different kinds of portlets.)

correct.

>2. If 1. is possible, all of these portlets' meta infomation
>need to be written anywhere.  Portlet.xml corresponds to this
>in JSR168 Spec.
>Well, should we prepare portlet.xml files as many as the
>number of portlets included in the portlet application?
>Or prepare a portlet.xml file and write many meta-info about
>them in it?

Same as the jsr168 spec & pluto implementation (since we are using their
container),
One portlet.xml containing info about all portlets.

>3. If both 1. and 2. are OK, can a portlet call for other
>portlets included in the same portlet application with same
>session shared?

no, there is no portlet forwarding/including in jsr168.

>If so, we can make portlet application utilizing coordination
>between portlets.

Coordination of portlets is not specified yet neither in the portlet
spec nor in wsrp.
However both committees will be/are working on coordination and will be
specified in the next spec versions.

cu
Richard