Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/10/24 08:21:31 UTC

[LANG] Findbugs and CheckStyle

Hi guys,

there are only two issues left in jira which can be fixed later than 3.2.
If you agree feel free to change the Fix version, so that we can move on.
I've looked through FindBugs and CheckStyle:

CheckStyle: only missing JavaDoc in TypeUtils. To be honest I really don't
know what the reflection magic in TypeUtils does, so I don't know how to
document that. Matt, would you be so kind to add the last missing bits? You
seem to have an understanding of what is going on there. BTW: one thing I
don't like about TypeUtils is that is does not do input parameter
validation like other Utils in lang do. This makes it fail late, which may
lead to obscure stack traces. Maybe we should file an issue for that.

FindBugs: It complains mostly about switch statements with a missing
default case. I've look through one or two and those had a default case.
Maybe FindBugs isn't able to figure that out because there is are comments
like: // $ FALL-THROUGH (probably related to PMD?!). Any idea about that?
The other issue is a String comparison using == instead of equals in
DurationFormatUtils. I've looked into that as well and it looks like this
is some kind of weird performance optization. IMHO it is really hard to
understand to say the least. Can we supress this warning?

Let's just fix this stuff and cut an RC :)

Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [LANG] Findbugs and CheckStyle

Posted by Brent Worden <br...@gmail.com>.
Lang is using the most recent release of the FindBugs Maven plugin
(2.5.2) which uses the more recent release of FindBugs (2.0.2).

FindBugs has the means to suppress fall through via comments and its
findbugs.sf.comment analysis property [1].  Sadly, the latest version
of the FindBugs Maven plugin does not support configuring those
properties.  Currently, the only means to suppress the warnings
through Maven is by using the excludes filter file.

[1] http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/manual/analysisprops.html
Thanks,

Brent

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.