Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by ra...@wonko.inow.com on 2004/09/30 21:37:05 UTC

flexibility of a wsdl, but instant deployment

Hello,

I just started working with Axis, and have read through the user and
installation guides, and have read some outside guides as well.

However, I am still very confused on one point.  I understand that you can
do instant deployment by deploying the java files as .jws files.  However,
you don't get the flexibility of using wsdl.

How can you do instant deployment using wsdl without having to run the
adminclient each time you push a new war file to a production system?

I know I'm missing something easy here, and any guidance would be much
appreciated!

Thank you,
-Raiden Johnson

Re: flexibility of a wsdl, but instant deployment

Posted by ra...@wonko.inow.com.
Hrm, I may have figured this out.

Is the answer to my question: you deploy the web service via the
adminclient BEFORE you create the war file that is deployed to production?

(If it makes a difference, I am integrating Axis into an existing web
application.)

Thank you,
-Raiden Johnson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 raiden@wonko.inow.com wrote:

> Actually, I should probably state what it is I'm trying to do.
>
> I'm trying to use the flexibility of creating your own wsdl to define the
> service (instead of just using instant deployment), but I'd like to know
> how I can then push a war file to production, and have the service already
> be deployed... without having to call the adminclient after deploying the
> war file.
>
> Thank you again,
> -Raiden Johnson
>

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 raiden@wonko.inow.com wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just started working with Axis, and have read through the user and
> > installation guides, and have read some outside guides as well.
> >
> > However, I am still very confused on one point.  I understand that you can
> > do instant deployment by deploying the java files as .jws files.  However,
> > you don't get the flexibility of using wsdl.
> >
> > How can you do instant deployment using wsdl without having to run the
> > adminclient each time you push a new war file to a production system?
> >
> > I know I'm missing something easy here, and any guidance would be much
> > appreciated!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > -Raiden Johnson

Re: flexibility of a wsdl, but instant deployment

Posted by ra...@wonko.inow.com.
Actually, I should probably state what it is I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to use the flexibility of creating your own wsdl to define the
service (instead of just using instant deployment), but I'd like to know
how I can then push a war file to production, and have the service already
be deployed... without having to call the adminclient after deploying the
war file.

Thank you again,
-Raiden Johnson

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 raiden@wonko.inow.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just started working with Axis, and have read through the user and
> installation guides, and have read some outside guides as well.
>
> However, I am still very confused on one point.  I understand that you can
> do instant deployment by deploying the java files as .jws files.  However,
> you don't get the flexibility of using wsdl.
>
> How can you do instant deployment using wsdl without having to run the
> adminclient each time you push a new war file to a production system?
>
> I know I'm missing something easy here, and any guidance would be much
> appreciated!
>
> Thank you,
> -Raiden Johnson

Re: flexibility of a wsdl, but instant deployment

Posted by ra...@wonko.inow.com.
Hi Tony,

You are correct.  I was confusing wsdl with wsdd.  I meant wsdd.  My issue
was more around the fact that I wanted to have the web service fully
configured, and then packaged in a war file that I could then upload to
production systems.

Raul pointed out that I simply needed to deploy the web service ahead of
time, and then package the server-config.wsdd into a war file that I could
then upload to production.  This seems like the solution that will allow
me to accomplish what I'm looking for.

Thank you everyone, for your help!

-Raiden Johnson

Posted by to...@gsk.com.