Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2019/04/29 13:50:18 UTC

DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX dependency on T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE

Hello,

I see that DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX is complementary to T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE:

meta DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX          __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA && __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && !T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE

meta T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE  __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA && __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && __ANY_IMAGE_ATTACH

I am not sure whether it's wise to have rule depending on test (T_) rule.

it also lowers final score, because:

score DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX 2.636 1.449 1.737 2.845

while T_ only has 0.01

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Re: DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX dependency on T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> I see that DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX is complementary to
>>> T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE:
>>>
>>> meta DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX          __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA &&
>>> __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && !T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE
>>>
>>> meta T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE  __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA &&
>>> __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && __ANY_IMAGE_ATTACH
>
>> That sort of thing is intentional to avoid double-scoring a single email on
>> two very similar rules (typically a more-general rule and a more-specific
>> verison of that rule, as is the case here), and to reduce the impact on
>> scoring of a pair of rules where one hits more low-scoring spam than the
>> other (i.e. to try to keep the more-specific rule's score high regardless
>> of the profile of the more-generic rule).
>
> I understand the concept, but it is imho broken by having the latter scored
> 0.01 by default

Maybe. The _IMAGE version's recent S/O is 0.005 - 0.006, so having a FYI
score for that variant doesn't (seem) to be too painful - presuming the
masscheck corpora reasonably reflect reality.

In fact, at the moment, that exclusion actually seems to be *improving*
the S/O of the more-generic variant.

>>> I am not sure whether it's wise to have rule depending on test (T_) rule.
>
> On 29.04.19 07:49, John Hardin wrote:
>> That is potentially a concern.
>>
>> In this situation it would be better to make the second rule a combination
>> of a subrule (used in the exclusion) and a scored rule (which at the moment
>> is performing too poorly to promote and publish).
>
> poorly compatible to what?  I wouldn't object against score 0.01 if it came
> from masscheck.  But DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX currently scores significantly and I
> wonder whether it's enough for client to add image to push score down to
> 0.01

Perhaps for a while. If that started to be widespread then the performance
of the _IMAGE variant would improve, probably enough to be published.

   If you are "fighting for social justice," then you are defining
   yourself as someone who considers regular old everyday
   *equal* justice to be something you don't want.       -- GOF at TSM
  2 days until May Day - Remember 110 million people murdered by Communism

Re: DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX dependency on T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I see that DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX is complementary to T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE:
>
> meta DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX          __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA &&
> __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && !T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE
>
> meta T_DOS_OUTLOOK_TO_MX_IMAGE  __ANY_OUTLOOK_MUA && !__OE_MUA &&
> __DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX && __ANY_IMAGE_ATTACH

That sort of thing is intentional to avoid double-scoring a single email
on two very similar rules (typically a more-general rule and a
more-specific verison of that rule, as is the case here), and to reduce
the impact on scoring of a pair of rules where one hits more low-scoring
spam than the other (i.e. to try to keep the more-specific rule's score
high regardless of the profile of the more-generic rule).

> I am not sure whether it's wise to have rule depending on test (T_) rule.

That is potentially a concern.

In this situation it would be better to make the second rule a combination
of a subrule (used in the exclusion) and a scored rule (which at the
moment is performing too poorly to promote and publish).

   You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it
   will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the
   wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly
   administered.                                  -- Lyndon B. Johnson
  2 days until May Day - Remember 110 million people murdered by Communism