Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Aristeo Sanchez <ar...@maga.gob.gt> on 2003/03/12 15:31:02 UTC

James don't deliver to yahoo.com...

I'm a new user of James, and I have a problem: using james I can send mail
to almost anyone who has and email address but when I send emails to any
address in yahoo.com every messages are returned with this message: "Could
not connect to SMTP host: mx4.mail.yahoo.com., port: 25". (the mx start in 1
and finish in 25).

If anyone have any sugestion about this error, I'm really interested.
Thank you.

Aristeo Sanchez
Guatemala

Re: James don't deliver to yahoo.com...

Posted by Josip Almasi <jo...@vrspace.org>.
Aristeo Sanchez wrote:
> Well, the messages sent to yahoo.com returned with this text:

Had this problem, was result of misconfigured james.
I had localhost instead of valid dns adresses in config.xml.

Regards,
Josip

RE: Setting up james for sending emails

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> However, I still don't know why I can't send email to my
> yahoo/plasa/hotmail :(.

When in doubt, you go to environment.xml, change the log level for the
spoolmanager to DEBUG, and look at the logs to see where the messages are
going, and why.

> I really want to learn how to set up an email server.

Read the documentation, read the James Wiki (link off the main page), and
ask questions.

> can I use james programmatically using JavaMail API

James supports SMTP and POP3 protocols, which is how it is accessed
externally.  If you want to program within James, there are plenty of
examples.  But I would suggest that you first learn to set James up before
you try programming it.

	--- Noel

Setting up james for sending emails

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
Hi,

I have downloaded and installed james 2.1.2. I know how to
add users, sending emails, list users/emails.

However, I still don't know why I can't send email to my
yahoo/plasa/hotmail :(.

FYI, I am not very good at networking. I installed james
on my computer. I am connected to the net through proxy.

Is it possible to send emails in such condition? Can I
change the part after @ as I like? I really want to learn
how to set up an email server.

Btw, can I use james programmatically using JavaMail API
or even ASP's CDO?

RE: James don't deliver to yahoo.com...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Yup.  A slow response, or other exception after the initial socket
connection would do it.  There is a lot of code inside Sun's service
providers that eats useful exceptions and doesn't expose them to the client.
A bit too much insulating the driver from the road.

If the socket connection times out, you get the nested exception, but if the
server response is slow, disconnects in mid-stream, or returns something
like 554, you get zilch for explanation.

Serge, according to his logs, James did move to the next MX record.  And
then received the same result.

	--- Noel

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.