Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2009/05/04 15:33:03 UTC

Re: Documentation

This has been a chronic problem and there is an interest in the user
community to work with David and the Hippo team to try to fix this.

There is a lot of documentation but it is really written for the
developers and requires way too much reading between the lines.

I have tried in the past to describe a set of documentation that my guys
could have used to get started.
Is there anyone else who would like to work on documentation? With
version 2.2 about to be released, it is not a bad time to take a run at
the documentation.

Ron

Re: Documentation

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello all:

I think we have enough resources by now to make some
improvement to the docs. Personally, I truly appreciate this, and
I think it's motivating to see users willing to help and
improve the documentation.

How about we get something rolling here ?

After reading this thread, and reviewing the documentation available on
the site, I would say there is enough documentation, and some of them
are in depth. I agree with Ron Wheeler, that documentation requires
reading between lines. Which is something we don't do often, especially
those of us who like google. We like to search by key word and get to
the topic we are looking for. This suggests the need for searching
functionality, which we don't have now. So let's work with what we have.

There's is always room for improvement, and here is where the wiki comes
in. Users who kindly offered to contribute and help in the
documentation, can start by visiting the wiki and then going to

http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed2

Using the drop down menu and choosing "Show Local Site Map" we can get a
nice view for the available topics to browse and pick from. If You think there is something
missing from the main site, and from the wiki, then feel free to add a
page. If the page is there, but what you wanted, was not covered, or you
noticed the explanation was not deep, then you can add to it. This will help
us maintain the docs in one searchable location.

If a page is very well written, and very helpful, the jetspeed team may
move that page to the main site documentation, and of course preserving
the credits for the author(s). How is that ? Any comments, ideas ?

If you don't have a topic to write about or enough skills to start,
but you want to help and learn as you go,
then PERSISTENCE "AND" WRITING DOCUMENTATION is a great way to start.

I do have some topics for a newbie to write about, and I will help as
much as I can in that. Email me to discuss this.

Again, contribution is very welcome and needed and appreciated 8)

Re: Documentation

Posted by Brad Gardner <bg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.

On May 4, 2009, at 6:33 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> This has been a chronic problem and there is an interest in the user
> community to work with David and the Hippo team to try to fix this.
>
> There is a lot of documentation but it is really written for the
> developers and requires way too much reading between the lines.
>
> I have tried in the past to describe a set of documentation that my
> guys could have used to get started.
> Is there anyone else who would like to work on documentation? With
> version 2.2 about to be released, it is not a bad time to take a run
> at the documentation.

The latest release (2.1.3) documentation is found here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/

Recommend downloading an installer from here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/download.html

and referencing the documentation guides found here:

Users Guide

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/usersguide/index.html

Administration Guide

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/adminguide/index.html

Deployment Guide

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/deployguide/index.html

Deployment Guide

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2.1.3/devguide/index.html

We also have two tutorials:

1. Ant

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2-ant/

2. Maven-2

http://portals.apache.org/tutorials/jetspeed-2/

We've added 4 new documentation guides for 2.1.3 in 2009.

I don't recommend using the main docs found here for now:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/

until the 2.2 release goes out. We are very close. In fact we have
rewritten large parts of the 2.2 release documentation (its checked
in, just not published at this time as I have to fix up configuration
that has changed from 2.1.3 -> 2.2)

> Ron
>
> imolesworth@gmail.com wrote:
>> Totally frustrated!

Im sorry.

>> Using Jetspeed2 ( Or at least trying to ) the documentation is
>> extremely poor for the uninitiated and there seems to be a dearth
>> of any hardcopy support.

Our PDF plugin for Maven seems to be broken. I think you would be
surprised by the number of documentation pages available in the PDF
document (if I could get it to work again)

>> Just getting installed and running on Ubuntu was enough to grey the
>> little hair I have left! Now that we have overcome that obstacle I
>> cannot connect to my Mysql database because the app is not aware of
>> my mysql connector file and there is  no documentation to tell me
>> how to tell the app to use a certain connector.

If you have Java installed, its a simple download and run:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started-installer.html

>> Sure there is a little insert on updating the build.properties file
>> but I am not even close to the stage of doing builds, just trying
>> to use the demo apps to get the blasted thing going.

Ah, you are trying to build. Yeah, I personally don't like maven
either. But that is how we build Java apps at Apache. The trunk build
is a great improvement over 2.1.3, but I don't recommend trying it
until the release comes out. Too many SNAPSHOTs right now will cause
more support issues (frankly)

>> Its not surprising that big business runs a mile when faced with
>> open source stuff. The learning curve is simply made too expensive
>> by poor low level documentation. No description of the tree
>> structure, poor prerequisites requirements, interdependencies and
>> too much to mention.

Thanks for your input

Re: Documentation

Posted by David Encinas <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

	As a "dummy" developer in all this java portal world (I am an abap/c#
developer) but really willing to get into it, I could  contribute
testing/following the howtos in the documentation, giving the point of
view of someone how is learning, etc.

	So, if the list of docs/tasks exists, I could also have a look.

	regards,
		David.

Re: Documentation

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.