Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Xiaofan Zhou <Xi...@businessobjects.com> on 2005/01/27 00:12:54 UTC

How can I ignore DTD in an XML file

Hi, All,

Is there a feature that I can simple set to turn off the default
behavior to resolve a DTD entity included in an XML file? The DTD is
included in an XML using:

       <!DOCTYPE l1 SYSTEM "some.dtd">

I tried setValidationScheme(DOMParser::Val_Never), but it still try to
find the DTD, which failed. I know I can implemented a EntityResolver to
ignore it, but is there a better way? I am using xerces 1.7, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Re: How can I ignore DTD in an XML file

Posted by Michael Fuller <mi...@rmit.edu.au>.
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:05:15AM +0000, Gareth Reakes wrote:
> XML Parsers still have to resolve the DTD for entities, even if you
> don't want to do validation.

Why?  If I want to validate using a W3C XML Schema, why do I have to
read the DTD?  Are you suggesting that Xerces will read the external
DTD and use any entity definitions it finds when it is not doing
DTD-based validation?

> Cheers,
> Gareth

Michael

Re: How can I ignore DTD in an XML file

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@parthenoncomputing.com>.
Hi,

On 26 Jan 2005, at 23:12, Xiaofan Zhou wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> Is there a feature that I can simple set to turn off the default
> behavior to resolve a DTD entity included in an XML file? The DTD is
> included in an XML using:
>
>        <!DOCTYPE l1 SYSTEM "some.dtd">
>
> I tried setValidationScheme(DOMParser::Val_Never), but it still try to
> find the DTD, which failed. I know I can implemented a EntityResolver
> ignore it, but is there a better way? I am using xerces 1.7, BTW.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Frank

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com