Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/20 04:36:58 UTC

Discussion: Spin Off OFBiz Technology

Something that has been mentioned in passing in previous threads is the possibility of taking some of the OFBiz technologies and making them projects of their own.

Two areas come to my mind that I think are good candidates for something like that: The object type conversion framework and the temporal expressions. I kind of had it in my mind they could be in their own library when I designed them.

Apache Commons has an abandoned conversion project and they are looking for someone to adopt it. I could approach them about having our conversion framework moved there. I believe Apache Commons would be a good home for the Temporal Expressions as well.

What that would mean for us is we won't have to maintain the source code in the project any more. Instead we will include jar files in the project - like any other third party library.

What do you think? Are there any other OFBiz technologies that would be good candidates for a stand-alone library?

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Spin Off OFBiz Technology

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thanks Scott.

I did a little investigating and I discovered the reason it was
abandoned was because one of the developers took the basic idea and
created a new project called Morph. So, there is a chance things will
work the other way around - there might be an existing library we can
use instead of our own conversion code. I will look into it some more
this weekend.

-Adrian

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.
>> What do you think?

+1.
I don't see any issue in moving code base to Apache Commons library.

--
Ashish

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Adam Heath wrote:
> Chris Snow wrote:
>
>> The entity engine would be good as a library/standalone framework!
>>

> That's a little more difficult; the entity codebase uses a lot of code
> from base(in addition to my sql parser, which *is* generic).  All that
> code would need to be changed to use other libraries, which is more
> work than I would be willing to do at this time.

It was a nice dream, some more steps towards a more modular ofbiz.
After making the entity engine a framework a library, maybe next the
service engine...

Re: Discussion: Spin Off OFBiz Technology

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
--- On Tue, 1/19/10, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> wrote:
> Chris Snow wrote:
> > The entity engine would be good as a
> library/standalone framework!
>
> That's a little more difficult; the entity codebase uses a
> lot of code
> from base(in addition to my sql parser, which *is*
> generic).  All that
> code would need to be changed to use other libraries, which
> is more
> work than I would be willing to do at this time.

On that note, some of the code in base could be replaced with existing libraries - including the ones we already use.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.