Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/05/13 15:45:49 UTC

PRs with copyrights in the license header?

Just noticed this in a PR for vSphere support [1]:

"+<!--
  + Copyright 2014 Cisco Systems, Inc
  +
  + Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");"

Can we accept such a copyright claim if the remainder of the Apache 2
license is included?

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/364/files

Re: PRs with copyrights in the license header?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> As far as I understand the copyright policy [1], there shouldn't be a
> copyright notice in the header. The way I understand it, pull requests
> are contributions submitted directly to the ASF, so they don't fall
> into the "third-party work" category, but I'm not a legal expert; it
> would be great if someone could clarify this.

Thanks, Ignasi! I think the doc you linked is pretty clear on what can
and cannot be included...lazy me for not looking!

ap

Re: PRs with copyrights in the license header?

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 03:02:08PM +0200, Andrew Phillips wrote:
> Andrew Gaul wrote:
> >Unfortunately I could not configure Checkstyle with anything other than
> >an absolute path to the license file.  Our multi-module configuration
> >works properly but not across repositories like jclouds-labs.  Any ideas
> >on how to make this work
>
> An obvious, if slightly annoying one: duplicate the license file in
> the other two repos? Or, slightly better, publish it as a shared
> resource JAR and use the maven-shared-resources plugin to pull it in
> at the beginning of every build in a downstream repo?
>
> Thanks for you work on this, gaul!

Finally cracked this:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/472

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: PRs with copyrights in the license header?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
Both rat and maven-license-plugin do not completely enforce license
headers; I found many via Checkstyle:

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/371

Unfortunately I could not configure Checkstyle with anything other than
an absolute path to the license file.  Our multi-module configuration
works properly but not across repositories like jclouds-labs.  Any ideas
on how to make this work or how to properly configure the other two
tools?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
I'd personally ask them to change that and point them to source headers policy:

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

If that's a problem for them; we can discuss alternatives, but I'd see
if they are willing to adjust their own license headers.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.